Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question comes from reading about people that have computer issues. In order to resolve a problem of aging Spica pumps Wes stepped in to rebuild pumps for us, someone rebuilds actuators, and another rebuilds display panels for our 164's. These cottage industries have kept our cars functioning. As our spiders, GTV6's, Milano/75's and 164's are getting older, is there anyone that can rebuild the computers back to new specs or upgrade the boards when the time comes? I heard some time ago and I can't recall if it was Alfa Romeo/Bosch units, there are boards that are disintegrating due to age. It would be great if someone stepped into this role to help all of us. Squadra might be the only one that I have heard of that comes close.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
This question comes from reading about people that have computer issues. In order to resolve a problem of aging Spica pumps Wes stepped in to rebuild pumps for us, someone rebuilds actuators, and another rebuilds display panels for our 164's. These cottage industries have kept our cars functioning. As our spiders, GTV6's, Milano/75's and 164's are getting older, is there anyone that can rebuild the computers back to new specs or upgrade the boards when the time comes? I heard some time ago and I can't recall if it was Alfa Romeo/Bosch units, there are boards that are disintegrating due to age. It would be great if someone stepped into this role to help all of us. Squadra might be the only one that I have heard of that comes close.
BBA remanufacturing. Not sure if they can do a Alfa ECU in the US becasue just like everyone else they are all scared of anything attached to the name alfa. It seems most think it is from outerspace and always just say no cannot do it even though it may be the same or similar ECU from a BMW.
Infact I would just tell them it is a bosch ecu from a BMW.
They fix the LCD or at least say they do. But I have to warn people their fix does not WORK! It fails either right away or down the road. I have sent one to them for test and it failed just last week. They do a bad job with the LCD as they melted the cable! No wonder it does not work. But I am not sure if they are this sloppy with the ECU's they do offer a warranty so that is good.
I would most likley send it to their UK main office as they may see more alfa ECU's.
Or you can stock up on ECU's for your car. I wrapped my ECU in plastic just incase my HC ever blows. :)

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/Products.aspx?category=33

Not sure how good their work is. Although a 2 year warranty if they ruin a 95 ECU, or S ECU you be be SOL later.

The guys in the US seem clueless about alfa's so go straight here:

Worldwide Headquarters
BBA-reman Ltd
Unit 9 Sabre Court
Gillingham Business Park
Kent
ME8 0RW
United Kingdom

Phone: +44 (0)1634 230 055
Fax: +44 (0)1634 233 099
email: [email protected]

Hours of Operation: 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. GMT
Jason

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason, there is only one source for fixing that display unit and this one of our BB members. I wouldn't trust it to anyone else, especially for the cost of having it repaired.
The ECU is another matter. Components fail or boards fall apart etc. They are electronics and eventually they will fail. Some sooner than others. So, it would be best to keep an ECU on hand or know of a reputable source for an exchange. Thank you for the reply. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts