Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure how to to do this , but in another post(94 164 4sale)
there were some of us upset that others go over a 100MPH on the U.S. roads "because we all think were race drivers"
and I bet that 40%+ of us on this board have some type of track experience .
So I thought a post on;

"WHAT IS OUR DRIVING EXPERIENCE"

How many are or have been a racer of any kind? SCCA NASA,CSRG, NCSCC, car Clubs ETC?

How many have been to adriving school? How many have been to a driving school more than 1 time?

How many have have held a comp Lic. Club, scca etc?

Now how many have had 1st place 2nd and 3erds?

Well thats it for me now please help out with this , Ideas to add to it?
I will put the 1st poll in.
Yes to all the above
How many members do we have? if 100 we have 1% so far with track exp.
come on folks.
Take Care
PSB
:)

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Although I don't have a comp license, I've been fortunate to have been able to attend driving schools at Pocono, Riverside, Bridgehampton, Road America, Lime Rock and a few others. I've instructed at both the Bridge and the Rock for various car clubs including Alfa, BMW, Ferrari, Jensen, Porsche, etc. Autocrossing has also netted a bunch of trophies including an FTD at Wall Stadium in an Alfa. But that was years ago. My last driving event was at the '94 convention at Copper Mountain where a fellow attendee lent me his rented Subaru for the autox; came in third.
But I practice every day. Proper line, late braking, being smooth, good entry. And never have to exceed the speed limit to do it!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very good

we are on are way. around were I live for the most part its a ditto.
Thats what its all about practice, proper line ,Smooth Etc etc..
But I have to ask, dont you VC23109 (ex.of speed) alittle on on ramps?
well thats 2 of us out of 504.
Keep em coming

·
Registered
442 Posts
Interesting subject. I first attended the "new" Bondurant school at Orange County raceway in 1968.
Laid off for a decade then attended the 5-day course at Jim Russell at Willow Springs in 1978.
Got my SCCA novice in 1978, the regional, and finally my national license the same year.
I raced for two seasons in Formula Ford, then the budget moved me to Formula Vee. Competed for 9 more seasons in Formula Vee, qualifying for the national runoffs every season and was a driver's school instructor for Cal Club and part-time instructor for Jim Russell for a couple of years.
I "retired" from competition in 1980.
...but there isn't a day goes by that.........

Keeth Lawrence
84 spyder

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I started racing on the ice in Montreal and surrounding areas when I was 16. At that time, it wasn't sanctioned by the Canadian SCCA (1974), but we were just beginning to make a few rules ;) for safety. I got into a 'muscle-car' phase and did quite a bit of bracket racing at a track called Sanair for a while after that. I then joined the Canadian SCCA and began competing in STD rallyes off and on for a couple of years.

In 1983 I joined the navy, so that curtailed my competition for a while. I had a family and was living on a tight navy budget, driving only one car for most of the '80s, but I was fortunate enough to place 2nd in the novice category in a Montreal area Rally in 1989 in a Subaru turbo AWD wagon. I competed in a few rallyes (usually placing in the top 10 in my 'stock' class) until I wrecked my car in February 1991.

Continuing to move around with the navy, I didn't do much competition through the '90s. I moved to Norfolk, VA in 1999 and have been involved with the Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC) ever since. I have helped out at track events and such, and even owned a nicely hopped-up Alfetta which I loaned a friend to use at Roebling Roads, but I have been travelling far too frequently to actually get into any competition or track schools. I am retiring next month and will soon be building a competition GTV for my entry into vintage or F-Production (if the SCCA can change the rules) Alfa racing. I can't wait to get back into racing!

I ALWAYS drive like I'm on the track and enjoy speeding up for corners! :D

Cheers,

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
I got me feet wet in track driving by taking the Chicago AROC's drivers school @ Road America when I was 19. At that point, I had already been autocrossing for a few seasons so the main challenge was to smooth out my technique.

I had the pleasure of watching and learning from some very fast men, including Mike Besic, Rick Dunleavy, Rob Zalinger, etc. Since then, I've run lapping days and time trials at quite a few tracks around the country, put on by AROC and a few other organizations.

I have to say that a driver's school of some kind is very important, as I have been at "test and tune" days at our local track where there were people out on the track with NO CLUE as to track ettiquette. The wouldn't know a yellow flag if someone rolled it up and smacked them across the head with it :mad:

As for driving fast on public roads, there are times when it's stupid and times when it is absolutely appropriate. Alfisti are pretty good at figuring out which is which...

Joe

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I am an eleven year veteran of the Long Beach Grand Prix circuit. Have I raced in the actual event? Nope. My routine involves sneaking down to the track at night during the week of the event. I have been known to move a few cones and barricades in order to get my car on to the track areas. I then spend the next 10-30 seconds taking 2-3 turns before I have to lock up the wheels so I don't slam into a tire barricade. Turn around and backtrack through the same turns. It's quite fun for me, but then I am easily amused.

I have only been caught once by the "man". During my inaugural run (I was 16 in my Piece-O-Crap '73 Celica) I was chased down by a member of the LBPD. Much more of the track was accessible back then. Seems I was making so much noise ripping around corners. Not due to my speed, but rather by the yanking of my parking break in order to slide around the turns. The officer angrily asked me, "What the hell are you doing in here son?" When I told him that I was pretending that I was racing in the LBGP, he paused still looking at me sternly, then he burst into laughter. After his laughing subsided he told me, "Get the hell out of here! If I ever catch you in here again..." His laughing continued as he returned to his police car.

This year I enjoyed some of the track sections in my GTV for the first time. The two previous years I took my Spider down there. Both Alfas have leaky exhaust systems that just sound awesome going under the convention center overpass.

Do I have experience in sanctioned competition driving? Not yet. I hope to make it out to the AROSC Streets of Willow soon. Are the barricades easy to move out there? :D

·
Registered
4,450 Posts

I occasionally run scca solo II events and get consistently spanked by George Schweikle. He and his wife run his modified 76 Alfa Spider in csp class and he has multiple scca national championships to his benefit. One of these days I am going to threaten him with a compression guage. His car is so very fast.

John M

·
Registered
325 Posts
Since I started some controversey (hey, discussion is good for the soul right?) I'll chime in.

I'm just a big Alfa fan and enjoy watching racing and being around cars or all types. In my other life I'm a professional pilot and spend my days at 500mph. :) My airplane doesn't even begin to fly until about 140 mph. Anyway I don't pretend to believe that my job skills carry over to driving my car, and traffic tickets are not condusive for a long career in aviation....my Alfa gets driven in a spirited fashion but in general I'm pretty conservative. I'll leave the racing to the professionals (and trained amateurs!)

My job has its share of risk, hence my views on safety, training and that sort of thing.

(I agree, however, open deserted roads would be very tempting)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Rob,
Let me respond to your post. As a pilot, you are a "born race-driver."
If you look up at my response, you will see I have quite a bit of experience in training new drivers. Over the five or so years I spent instructing, my favorite students were pilots. They were always extremely quick to "feel the car" and eventually, be fast.
So much of the skills involved in driving a race-car, especially open wheel cars, is in the "seat-of-the-pants feel."
Finesse, car balance, aerodynamics. They all come into play. Just like that first trainer you got in. We just tend to avoid playing with the yaw axis as much as possible!
Go for it! Enroll at a good school, or find a track and a good coach. You will be surprised at how fast you progress!

...Keeth Lawrence

P.S. The reverse holds true also. I started flight training a few years ago and it was SOOO similar. I just ran out of funds.
Too bad you aren't out here in the west. We could work out a reciprocal deal!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Started at age 60 with a weekend at the University of Vara (Vintage Auto Racing Association) driving my buds raced out Bugeye Sprite. Car is so forgiving that after the weekend I really thought I could drive. Proceeded to trash a Super Ti and figured I better really learn.
AROSC runs about the best High Performance Driving School I have witnessed to date. Instructors will ride as passengers or drivers. Plenty of dry and wet skid pad excersices. High speed maneuvering excersises. Even got to spend time behind the wheel and as a passanger with our last guest instructor John Morton. Special bonus - mywife has gone twice and even though she's timid with the gas pedal, she is a much calmer passenger when I'm driving. We both practice our new skills WHENEVER we are in any vehicle.
Finally got my Time Trial Competition License and because I am currently the only club member classed IP, I set a club, class lap record every time I drive a new track - Last month Buttonwillow, next month Cal Speedway and hopefully in Oct. Las Vegas. Having a great time and wish some of you southern californians - 67gtv - would trust yout old daily beaters to survive and come on out. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Solo2

I run my '77 Spider when I can in the local autocrosses. I have owned the car for about four years, and still have to say that I am still learning different tips and techniques on how to drive and of course, fix it. One of our local clubs has started a vintage class in their events, where the car is a bit more competitive. And, its nicer to go up against TR6's, 911's, and MGBs.

Someday, maybe a drivers school and a some track time.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have a 73 GTV which is about 50% the way to a full DSP car. And I autocross regularly in the Detroit area, but never with the SCCA.

2-3 track events a year, normally one is a time trial at the AROC national.

One driver's school- Bondurant- didn't pay with my own money ;)

No license.

And when George and I are head to head, there is normally a .5-1 second difference. The gap is about the same if I let John Hoard drive my car... One of these day's, I'll learn to drive.

Eric

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Alex;; now where older and time is really flying.. I had no idea it was 6 years.. wow...
Peter

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I am envious of you Alfisti with track experience. All I have is a few hundred thousand miles of winding down twisty Maine back roads in my GTV6's. Coming into corners with enthusiasm, finding my line, feeling the car. Pushing it a good bit. Driving fast at appropriate times, always slowing down and being in control around people.

1st time on a track for me? This year at Portland !!!! :-]

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
i have takin 2 driving schools at sears point raceway,, worth every $$$$..:cool: and i drag dodge trucks:p:p:D..as for 'street driving' i have takin my car up to about 120 mph, but this was on a sunday on hy 5 north of willows, ca.. not to much trafic out there..( or chp;):D )

·
Registered
377 Posts
never had a comp license but time trialed/track-dayed/HPDE'ed, some timed laps, some not, and some autcrossing thrown in my '6 for many years. Lime Rock (high 1:06 personal best), the Bridge (Bridgehampton), Watkins Glen, Pocono (South, North and East Courses), Summit Point. a lot of seat time, a whole lot of fun and a fair number of trophies to show for it. many clubs over the years, now PDA (Performance Drivers Association, a plug: PDA Driving School)

(don't drive much anymore, did some instructing, now mostly flagging (usually black flag/checker). does having worked NJMotorsport park and Monticello (NY) as a flagger, and having been NNJR SCCA flag instructor for 4 years (1971 - 1975) count?)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts