Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas-

So I'm driving and go to turn on the heat- I hear a bad squeal- start smelling burnt something- engine feels like it's loaded down. Pull over- lift hood- the compressor bearing area is red hot. Turn off all climate control- start car- no problems- get it home safely- Any tips- Is a new compressor in my future- just the bearings? Runs fine until I turn on the air. Thanks

·
Premium Member
27,528 Posts
Hey Fellas-

So I'm driving and go to turn on the heat- I hear a bad squeal- start smelling burnt something- engine feels like it's loaded down. Pull over- lift hood- the compressor bearing area is red hot. Turn off all climate control- start car- no problems- get it home safely- Any tips- Is a new compressor in my future- just the bearings? Runs fine until I turn on the air. Thanks
Sounds like compressor has had internal failure and clutch plate was slipping metal to metal against clutch pulley that engine was tuning with serpentine belt.

Yes you need a compressor with good clutch plate, electical coil and clutch pulley and bearing.

If you saw red glow clutch coil and pulley bearing may not have much life left. If pulley bearing starts to fail and locks up you will burn up the serpentine belt and then water pump or alternator won't be able to work.

Be careful driving car long distances until you get compressor and clutch assembly changed.

Here is some light reading for you:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/25985-c-clutch-disintegrates.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/47123-164-sd-709-compressor-exploded-view.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/24963-alfa-romeo-164-c-compressor-info.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...4-c-compressor-pulley-bearing-shaft-seal.html

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
Hey Fellas-

I agree with steve that it sounds like it is toast.
If your looking for a good reman compressor please let me know? Or brand new ones for a very good price with clutch/pulley.

Sounds like your clutch bearing is good and you can run it like that for awhile but I am not to sure how long as that heat may have done a number on the clutch bearing. So becareful and replace the unit as soon as possible
jason

·
Premium Member
27,528 Posts
I would disconnect green-black wire to compressor coil red wire under alternator area so you can use a/c and heater panel for heat and fresh air.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info gentleman. What are the pros and cons of going reman. vs. brand new other than cost- I don't for see getting rid of the car anytime soon- I love it- and I need really good AC for Socal summers. Should I just go new - or are the rebuilt units just as good?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do I need to evac the system before swapping compressors? Would like to do as much of the work myself. At some point the PO switched to R134a refrigerant- Which compressor do I need for that? Jason- you have both don't you (R12/R134)?

·
Premium Member
27,528 Posts
Do I need to evac the system before swapping compressors? Would like to do as much of the work myself. At some point the PO switched to R134a refrigerant- Which compressor do I need for that? Jason- you have both don't you (R12/R134)?
Yes, you need to have freon removed into freon recovery machine (recycled).

The shop I use will do that for me, measure it and then once I do repair reinstall Freon for me and add whatever extra is needed.

You need a Sanden SD-709 style compressor with correct 7x5 pulley clutch, CB port end cap for 164 hose fittings. Clutch type 7x5 pulley needed to run alternator and water pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts