Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,036 Posts
Nice wheels indeed! I put 195/60's/14 on my Spider and it felt like a go-kart. Yoki ES100's or the like. The fellow who recommended them said all the autocross guys used that. Not good for touring. And it threw the speedo off. A 65 profile is 195 is a more OE size. I also did 195/70's once, big Mich XZX's. Not accurate either. Not that the Alfa speedo is accurate to begin with. but the ride at 60 was pretty harsh. Just sayin . . .

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Nice wheels indeed! I put 195/60's/14 on my Spider and it felt like a go-kart. Yoki ES100's or the like. The fellow who recommended them said all the autocross guys used that. Not good for touring. And it threw the speedo off. A 65 profile is 195 is a more OE size. I also did 195/70's once, big Mich XZX's. Not accurate either. Not that the Alfa speedo is accurate to begin with. but the ride at 60 was pretty harsh. Just sayin . . .
My speedo is currently high by 9mph according to magellan--makes me feel like I'm really getting it. I hope the 185x70's help that out. With all new suspension the green alfa feels like a slot car--I hope I don't lose too much of that but expect easier low speed maneuvering and less wear on the steering box. I put a little brown greasless polishing dope from Caswell on a wheel and rubbed it with a rag--I'll definitley be in polish mode for a few days with assorted polishing wheels--Wish I knew what kind of alloy the Mille Miglia wheels are.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Well I wish I had read this thread before I bought those Daytona style wheels off an 80something Alfa for my 71 GTV. The original Turbinas with 195/65s tires weighed about 29 lbs and the new wheels with 185/70 Pirelli P4s weigh about 38 lbs. All 14". Using a bathroom scale for the measurements but it is obvious that I am increasing unsprung weights significantly. Maybe refinishing and the constantly cleaning those Turbinas doesn't sound so bad...

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Tifosi,

Or whoever is able to update the charts.
If you are updating the chart on page 1 post #1 and page 4 post #46.
I just talked to Jim Spackman @ Alfaholics regarding the production weight of the 15''x 7'' GTA rims.

29mm offset Veloce 16.3 lbs
35mm offset Veloce 16.1 lbs
29mm offset Superleggera 15.1 lbs
35mm offset Superleggera 14.9lbs

So you save 1.2 lbs going to the Superleggera and the weight difference between the 2 offsets is about the same as a 6mm wheel spacer .2lbs

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is anyone out there able to give us the specs for the Momo Vegas??

These are a popular period wheel in both 4 x98 and 4 x 108 variants, with both "metal caps" and "plastic caps". The later being stronger with different offsets, I believe.
The average weight of the set of five I have (later, plastic center cap style) is 13.75 pounds, powdercoated.

-Jason

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Does anyone know what the "alloy" percentages were with the 1982 C35 Campagnolo "Daytona's"?
The Campagnolo "Elektron" rims were 85% magnesium and aluminium but pretty sure these aren't "Elektron". I need to strip, prep and repaint a set (please don't drift off and discuss powder coating...) The material construction will help with strip and prime selection...if I can find out what it is..
Tks

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Some wheel weights and OS = Off Set, all BC=108mm

14x7 GTA Campys real ones 11.9 lb OS +24mm Magnesium
14x7 MiniLights real ones 14 lb OS +25mm ????? Alu????
14x7 Millia Miglias real ones 14 lb OS +6mm Aluminum (New weight comparision: The 1971 10 hole weighs 13lb 10 oz and the 1974 5 hole surprisingly weighs 13lb 6 oz.)

14x6 Millia Miglias, like flivesay, 12.8 lb OS +17mm (differs slightly from Franks Dims.) Aluminum

FWIW

Ken

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

14x7 Milia Miglias real ones 14 lb OS +6mm Aluminum

14x6 Milia Milias Like flivesay 12.8 lb OS +17mm (differs slightly from Franks Dims.) Aluminum

FWIW

Ken
Once upon a time I could edit this table, then they changed something in the BB and it broke my HTML table code. A few months ago Roadtrip took over and converted it into an image; maybe he can still make updates?

-Jason

·
Registered
2,021 Posts

14x7 Milia Miglias real ones 14 lb OS +6mm Aluminum

14x6 Milia Milias Like flivesay 12.8 lb OS +17mm (differs slightly from Franks Dims.) Aluminum

FWIW

Ken
ive been looking for a set of 14x7 for decades... ive only seen 2 sets in the flesh.

anyone out there have a set for sale??

regards

db

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,036 Posts
Anybody have specs on Campy Americas?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Does anyone know what the "alloy" percentages were with the 1982 C35 Campagnolo "Daytona's"?
The Campagnolo "Elektron" rims were 85% magnesium and aluminium but pretty sure these aren't "Elektron". I need to strip, prep and repaint a set (please don't drift off and discuss powder coating...) The material construction will help with strip and prime selection...if I can find out what it is..
Tks
You might be better off not completely stripping your wheels. The oem finish is quite impervious and may provide a better paint surface than starting over. I recently bead-blasted a set of Campy Turbinas and found that the thorough cleaning didn't much effect the original finish. I plan to clean the wheels with a reducer, spray with an etching primer, and then paint.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,036 Posts
The ~pre-85 CD-35's were 12# and in league with some of the very light 11# alloy wheels with more magnesium %. The 86+ repro CD-35's were 16# and not due to heft but alloy. I imagine if you were certain that early 11-12# wheels were ~85% magnesium, you could ratio Mg to Al weights to get an approximate post '86 Mg content. No idea on alloy%, probably proprietary. Does it matter in refinishing?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Enkei "Basketweave" 14x6, 4 on 108, 11.8 lb.

Ronal "Basketweave" (Coarser pattern) 14x6, 4 on 108, 15.0 lb.
But they look good!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Pictures of 14 x 7 Millia Miglia, two versions.

First 2 wheels in photos have 10 cut outs and are dated 1971, Second two has 5 cut outs and is dated 1974.

Not sure which version I weighed for my earlier post this thread. The 1971 10 hole weighs 13 lb 10 oz with metal valve and the 1974 5 hole surprisingly weighs less at 13 lb 6 oz with no valve. Maybe with the valve accounted for they are close to the same.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
ken the early version is awesome! ive never seen this before. many thanks for taking the time to share with us.

14x7 et 6 is a super aggressive offset. some folks already have problems fitting 14x7 et 17 panasports on fronts of lowered soft spring cars with large tires or low arch cars or spiders at the rear. sticks out quite a bit in front on gtvs as i recall so you might need to run massive camber which is alright by me! luv those wheels been looking for ages for a set.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
American Lemans Wheels

Have these on the HB Luginbuhl / Mike McClure #69 Brown Giulietta Spider

American Lemans
4-spoke
15 x 6
4 x 108
12.5mm offset
14.5 lbs

I am looking for more singles, pairs, set of 4, if anyone out there has one or more
Any (non-cracked) condition OK

Thanks
RJ

Attachments

61 - 79 of 79 Posts