Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
After several searches I haven't seen any sort of a "reference" thread for wheel weights as I've seen on other boards. So I'm starting one. :D Please contribute any information you have. For the sake of consistency, try to weigh the wheels without center caps or wheel weights, or at least specify if they are included.

I'll try to update the table periodically. Please put as much info as you can into your posts! Thanks, Jason

-Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Campagnolo Daytona 14"x6", 35 mm offset (Spider, 5-star, OEM 1982-1985) 12.0 lbs.

Best regards,

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,855 Posts
The Quad/S4 15" Phonedial is 22 lbs

That's with center cap and weights, so be sure to account for those extra couple of ounces :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
14x6.5 88-90 75 Twinspark steel wheel 5x98PCD 30mm offset 8kg/17.7lb
15x6 83-85 GTV6 BWA alloy wheel 5x98PDC 45mm offset 8kg/17.7lb (note that the early campagnolo wheel is prob lighter)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
alfetta 2.0 quad 11lb
alfetta 2.0 tubina 14.1lb
gtv2.0 (Campagnolo) 13.5lb
spyder veloce (5 star) 12.1lb
gtv6 (Campagnolo) 13.5
i asume the data i have means "early" gtv6...considering its dated 1982...figures taken from "proceedings of 39th world magnesium conferance and exhibition 13-15 june 1982 detroit MI"

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
gtv6 (Campagnolo) 13.5
i asume the data i have means "early" gtv6...considering its dated 1982...figures taken from "proceedings of 39th world magnesium conferance and exhibition 13-15 june 1982 detroit MI"
that means the campags are almost 2kg per rim lighter than the BWAs (high mag content) - not to mention stronger - BWA surely stands for Bent Wheel Association!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,334 Posts
This thread is a great idea. I would only suggest that wheel size and offset be included when posting. After we get a few more replies we should compile into a chart.

Joe

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
This thread is a great idea. I would only suggest that wheel size and offset be included when posting. After we get a few more replies we should compile into a chart.

Joe
Good idea. I just added that info to my post, and I would also suggest that we stipulate the years when the wheel was offered.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Joe
I've edited the first post to include that info, and formatted everything into a nice table. I'll try to update it periodically.

-Jason

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alfetta 2.0 quad 11lb
gtv6 (Campagnolo) 13.5
Can you describe these wheels a bit better? I think we have the first and fourth captured in the table already, but I don't know all the sizes / etc. for the others.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I added the specs for the wheels on the back of the IAP catalog. If anyone has weights for them let me know. The Rota RBs are listed at 13.9 lb by Centerline but 15 lb by the manufacturer.

-Jason

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
Something here does not add up. I had a set of BWA sportstars and a set of mid 80's Daytonas at the same time. I don't remember the exact weights but I do remember that the BWA's were each about 4 lb lighter than the Daytonas. You could easily tell the difference just by picking them up.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Something here does not add up. I had a set of BWA sportstars and a set of mid 80's Daytonas at the same time. I don't remember the exact weights but I do remember that the BWA's were each about 4 lb lighter than the Daytonas. You could easily tell the difference just by picking them up.
That may be true, or there may be production variations over the years. I'm happy to change data as better info comes in. I was also thinking it might be a good idea to break the table into three posts, one for 4x108, one for 4x98, and one for 5x98. Thoughts?

-Jason

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
That may be true, or there may be production variations over the years. I'm happy to change data as better info comes in. I was also thinking it might be a good idea to break the table into three posts, one for 4x108, one for 4x98, and one for 5x98. Thoughts?

-Jason
Breaking them out as suggested makes good sense. Also, would it help if these were listed in chronological order, and all OEMs together followed by the aftermarket varieties?

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
alfetta 2.0 quad 11lb
gtv6 (Campagnolo) 13.5
i asume the data i have means "early" gtv6...considering its dated 1982...figures taken from "proceedings of 39th world magnesium conference and exhibition 13-15 june 1982 detroit MI"
ill try and explain a bit better..in the same order

looks just like the early 80s gtv6 wheel but in 4bolt
4lug turbina
looks like the standard 5lug 80's gtv6 wheel
spyder 5star
black faced 5lug gtv6 wheel

the pic's in the artical are poorly copyed and in black and white..id scan them but its REALY bad quality to begin with

the ones on my gtv6 are the 13.5lb

anyone got the weight of the milano platinum wheels?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,334 Posts
Something here does not add up. I had a set of BWA sportstars and a set of mid 80's Daytonas at the same time. I don't remember the exact weights but I do remember that the BWA's were each about 4 lb lighter than the Daytonas.
Alfa may have had multiple manufacturers make the OEM '80s Spider alloys, as they did with most of their other OEM alloys, like the Turbinas and Phone Dials.

IMHO - this may be arguing semantics - but I think the Cromodora CD-35 wheels should be called "Daytonas" and the '80s OEM wheels should be called... something else. I'm not saying Alfa never referred to the OEM wheels as Daytonas (they did, occasionally) but rather that it's confusing and not altogether appropriate.

Remember, the basic Cromodora wheels that led to all the Cromodora variants (CD-35, CD-31, etc.) was first seen in 1967 on the Ferrari Daytona, hence the name!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
73 Cromodora Daytona

I have a spare "April '73" Cromodora Daytona that weighs 12 pounds (no weights or stem). It is a CD-35 14"x6" JK. it is 22 mm offset and 4x108. By contrast the current IAP CD-35 repro (KBA 43907) weighed 4 pounds more at 16 pounds (with stem and 4 weights). Neither have centercaps.

I've been told (and debate rages) that pre ~86/87 CD-35's were higher "magnesium" alloy versus the later ones an "aluminum" alloy. I have 4 ca. '84 CD-35's but cannot get their weight since they are mounted. Your list may need to differentiate between these. Regards, Bruce

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts