Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never could stand the look and weight of the factory US bumpers on my 78 SS.
I initially discharged the bumper shocks, pushed the bumpers close to the car, welded the shocks and painted the heavyweight pieces of unnecessary ballast.

After a while I removed them and was tickled with the improvement in handling.

Too ugly. Other bumpers are hard to find and expensive.
Notice the absence of that "shelf" of a license light? all gone. There's a light in the license plate frame.

So, I went the same direction as I did with my Spider, go bumperless
Let the designers intentions be truly reflected in the car. You know, the first sketches before the USA came up with those ridiculous bumper height, headlamp height, and crashworthy bumpers. That's an oxymoron.

Some teaser photos tonight and more
to follow in the next few days showing the procedure. I'm whooped from 2.5 days of doing bodywork under the tutelage of my friend Richard. He's been doing this stuff for decades and offered to help in a big way as he was in Phoenix taking care of business the last few weeks. He normally resides in Paramount, CA. " Have gun, will travel". We did way more work than we intended to do. Bumper mount holes on each side magically disappeared as an example..
"Hey, Richard, I was thinking of doing this or that as a mod."
"No problem man. Let's do it!"

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’m 100% in agreement! Both the sedan and the gt look better sans bumpers. Not to mention the weight reduction. Very clean work... nice job and two thumbs way, way up!! 👍👍

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's still on the lift!! Richard is responsible for the quality. Not me....I was the apprentice.
I can't wait to see it on the ground.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The sedans look so much better with bumpers removed as the lines behind the now removed bumper flow so much better than say the GTV6's with that screwed on front airdam that looks the goods with the bumper on, but looks so tacked on with the bumper gone.

·
Super Moderator
11,774 Posts
Oddly, many Italian body designs seem to start off without bumpers on the drawing board. When I raced my 275GTB Ferrari years ago, the bumpers were removed. I discovered that they had to be an afterthought because they were made of steel just slightly heavier than body gauge sheet, and attached to the car with no reinforcement behind them in front, and in back, part of the fuel tank cage. Racing, it seemed logical not to ding both bumper and body, so they came off.
Newer designs as Petes sedan, probably also were on the drawing board less bumpers, those later added to meet various regulations where cars would be sold.
Bumperless is a GOOD look!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's an example of what you're describing Gordon.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As promised, more photos. They're in no particular order.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it outside of the garage for photos with my crappy phone camera. I haven't even washed it yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts