Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

The Leela Lugano will be on display at the Coronado Speed Festival this upcoming weekend on October 6th and 7th in the Alfa Corral.

Please stop by and visit with us!

Thank you

Alex

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
It's a magical place where all things Alfa and Italian rule, food, wine, and beautiful flaxen haired women with deep dark eyes love our company! :)

I'll tell you all about it at the Speed Festival on Saturday!

Speaking of the festival, I'm a AROC national member and need a corral parking pass. Do you know if there are any left?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I would like Alfaville. I fact, I know I would!!
I got my pass from Hillary Griffith here in San Diego. I don't know if she has more...
RB

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I'm guessing that the Leela would also take the running gear from a 4 cylinder Alfetta? That looks like an insane car! Good job on the looks, its a really pretty car.

Paul

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Robin, having just read your web page, and really enjoying what I read, it reminded me of a guy I met in Poway over ten years ago. I cannot for the life of me remember his name but he built a square tube racer with a mid engine 2.5 Alfa motor. It was simliar to an LMP car in the stlying department. I did not get to drive or ride in it but was told by his roommate (whom I knew) that it was a insane ride. Does this ring a bell? The car was named La Britage or something simliar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys!
I have seen the mid-engined car you are talking about. It was at the Concourso Italiano last year. An oriental guy bought it from the chap who built it in Poway. I don't know his name though. It should show up sometime I hope- it had some Ferrari Dino characteristics.

The Leela Lugano as I call the Alfa-looking version of the car ( I have a different grill for it if Alfa gets 'touchy' about the grill design), has a custom square tube frame which is a full perimeter frame with high side members to thwart intrusion into the driver/passenger compartment from the sides. Doors will be an option for the less agile, but they will only come about halfway down because of the frame height. Engine is behind the front wheels and the front end ride height is adjustable with an allen wrench from the drivers seat. The donuts in the drive shaft can be changed in about 30 mins. -the drive shaft, which is a custom piece, comes out the top. Anyone who has done this on a GTV6 or Milano will understand why I designed it this way.

Originally I had a backbone frame but scrapped the idea becuase it is unsafe in a side accident. The frame is quite stout with transverse members behind the engine like a TZ1, and decreasing size tubes in the very front and rear- crushable zones, etc.
To answer Paul's question: I think an Alfetta engine will fit. I measured one once and was surprised to see it was very similar in height to the 2.5 V6.
cheers,
Robin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alex- this sounds very interesting. Just what I am looking for. What sort of condition are they in and how much?
Robin

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Actually, I have two Verdes with good transaxles and engines, etc...sitting in Virginia (Norfolk). The trip may be long, but the cars are very cheap!

Yikes!

While I certainly think this project is cool, it turns my stomach a little bit to hear of real Verdes being cut up!

Remember there were less than 900 to begin with - Please don't butcher them.

Surely there are some Gold or Silver cars out there that can donate the sheet metal, 164s make good donors for 3.0 engines, and you can add LSD to any 4.10 ratio transaxle (if you're good and know what you're doing).

Joe

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Joe,

I agree with you, but what can a guy do with a 200k mile plus Verde that got wiped out in the front and another which has some rust issues? I have tried to sell them to someone who would fix them and then to someone who would make a race car...all to no avail. If anyboday wants them...they are cheap!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts