Alfa Romeo Forums banner

column switch replacement tailights

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rande 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am in the process of swapping out a bad 1991 column switch for a previous series model. Also changing the steering wheel.
I connected the wires from the old switch (left them in the fuse box and just cut and spliced the new wires in) They all match colorwise. The headlamps and the turn signals work, however, the taillights do not come on when the headlamps are switched on.

Any thoughts?

Rande

#2 ·
I wouldn't rely on colors from year to year. I would get a color schematic of each year and compare them. Sounds like you may need to request some diagrams from Papajam.....

#5 ·
I just looked at both the 88/S3 and a 91/S4 diagram and cannot see any difference in the wiring for the light stalk, between the models.

you sure your rear bulbs are good? (I know it would be odd for them both to go out at the same time, but we are dealing with alfas here and anything can happen:))
Front sidelights also both work, correct?

#7 ·
After I posted that I read the heart felt news. He truly will be missed. Even within series color codes change. I am not sure if someone is or can take Jim's duties but if needed I have the files for the wiring diagrams for an '87 Spider Veloce. Thank you, Jim.

#8 ·
Hi Everyone,

So I was able to fix the taillight issue, a problem with connection at the fuse box. Now the horn isn't working. I tested the black wire for the button and it is getting power. Funny thing is that yesterday when the taillights/sidelights weren't working the horn was going off when it seemed I barely touched it.

Other than the black wire, what color wire(s) would be involved with the horn?

Thanks for all your help, this BB is the best.

Happy New Year,
Rande

#9 ·
The horn is just the black wire basically....you push the horn and it completes the circuit by grounding.
This goes to the horn relay (in fuse box) from which two violet wires go to the twin horns.

If your horn doesn't work, It could be the wire in the steering wheel has come loose (you must have had the wheel off to put in the stalk?)

you could try unplugging horn relay (L3) and reinserting it....maybe contacts need a clean.
or swop it around for the power window relay (L12) to test it that way.

[Wiring snippet courtesy of Jim. RIP]

Happy New Year

Attachments

#10 ·
He says he changed the steering wheel.

Did you put on the same type or an aftermarket one?

If aftermarket it needs to have the contact ring on the back of the adapter hub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.