Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Sorry, I don't know how to show a pdf in the thread, only the link comes up.

Here are the manuals that I have. Neither one has any color printing. The covers on both of mine look the same as the one in the auction. Note that my manual dated 1957, shown in the first two photos, is clearly from later. It has the instructions for the split case transmission. I suspect that this was a late issued reprint of the original manual, with added pages. I bought it from the parts counter at Knauz motors in Lake Forest, IL in 1975, or thereabouts.

The third photo shows the last page of my second copy of the official shop manual. The 1962 date is believable, because this manual also includes the update for the split case transmission.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And now for my question. Can anyone tell me what were the various versions of the Giulietta factory shop manual, and how they differed? I am going to guess that the color version was early, that my copy dated 1957 is a reprint from a time when Alfa no longer tracked revisions and issue dates, and that my 1962 dated manual (which includes instructions for the split case transmission) is authentic.

Was there ever a cloth bound or loose-leaf version?

Curious minds want to know.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I purchased a blue covered Giulietta service manual from Alfa Romeo in 1968 and it was in black and white. I have a number of Alfa Romeo service manuals and none of them are in color. I will ask a friend who has a tremendous collection of Alfa service manuals and part manual and see if any of them were in color. I have original Giulietta tool charts that are in color.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
During this time period, Alfa would issue a publication with either a newly assigned publication number or issue a revised version of an existing publication number. The revised versions would always have the letter R followed by a number (in almost all cases) on the publications number page (inside rear cover). For example, a publication with no letter R would be a 1st edition. An R or R1 would be a 1st revision, R2 the 2nd revision, etc. In all cases, this page also includes the publication date be it a 1st edition or a revision and the number of copies printed as indicated by the number in parenthesis. In some cases, Alfa would use either a new publication number and/or a revision number as is the case with Giulieeta shop manuals.

The first English language Giulietta shop manual I have listed is publication 577. Although the publication date is not listed, manuals 576 and 582, which bracket 577, were published in 4/57 and 5/57 respectively. A pretty safe conclusion would be then that 577 was published in either April or May 1957.

For the next version of the Giulietta shop manual, Alfa chose to assign a new publication number rather than issue a revised version of 577. In this case, the new number issued was 611. Although I do not have the 1st edition publication date, the R version was published 12/57. Note the letter R in the publication line of 611 pictured above.

After the 611 R manual, the next version was assigned yet another publication number; 637 of which there were 4 versions.
637 1st edition - published 9/58
637 R1 (1st revision) - 6/59
637 R2 - 11/62
637 R3 - also 11/62
Manual 611 was also available as a reprint that was published in 10/69. The publications page reads "Publication No. 611 - 10/1969 1M O.P.".

Having said all that, and given other clues presented here, one might assume that the color illustrations were dropped by 611 R which would make the ebay manual either 577 or 611. Color illustrations however continued to appear in some publications published in the early 1960s.

I am not aware of any of the above mentioned manuals being available in hard cover or loose leaf but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tom,

I have three manuals from this era, all are different in certain areas. My first manual is from my 58 spider which I have had since 1965. This manual has no colored pages, but has a 10 page addendum for the split case transmission. My second manual came with my 55 Sprint project, it has no split case trans addendum, but has six pages in color, plus a 16 page section on all the special tools utilized for repairs. Each tool is pictured with the specific numbering, there is a final page that lists all tools numerically. These first two manuals are missing the pages/covers and therefore I can't date them positively, but feel the colored paged version to be the oldest. My last manual is dated 1962, is listed as #637 R2, it also has the same six colored pages as manual two, but does not include the special tool section. All the text and photos match page per page on the the first two mention manuals.

Vern in Oregon

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
manual

My Dad's original shop manual. Dated 5-57. Only colored pictures I have found were in the accessories section. #13 No tools or split case info. In a binder. Dad bought it when he bought his 58 Spider in 1958. In our family since then.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
manual

I think I took section 14- Special tools and equipment - out to copy it. It is hiding in my "stuff". Someplace.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pictures of manual. Well used but still in pretty good condition for 50+ years old.
That's special!!

All of the responses have been very interesting. The subject deserves a full treatment, even at the risk of being called an "anorak," to borrow a British term that appeared in the Giuliettaletta.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
During this time period, Alfa would issue a publication with either a newly assigned publication number or issue a revised version of an existing publication number. The revised versions would always have the letter R followed by a number (in almost all cases) on the publications number page (inside rear cover). For example, a publication with no letter R would be a 1st edition. An R or R1 would be a 1st revision, R2 the 2nd revision, etc. In all cases, this page also includes the publication date be it a 1st edition or a revision and the number of copies printed as indicated by the number in parenthesis. In some cases, Alfa would use either a new publication number and/or a revision number as is the case with Giulieeta shop manuals.

The first English language Giulietta shop manual I have listed is publication 577. Although the publication date is not listed, manuals 576 and 582, which bracket 577, were published in 4/57 and 5/57 respectively. A pretty safe conclusion would be then that 577 was published in either April or May 1957.

For the next version of the Giulietta shop manual, Alfa chose to assign a new publication number rather than issue a revised version of 577. In this case, the new number issued was 611. Although I do not have the 1st edition publication date, the R version was published 12/57. Note the letter R in the publication line of 611 pictured above.

After the 611 R manual, the next version was assigned yet another publication number; 637 of which there were 4 versions.
637 1st edition - published 9/58
637 R1 (1st revision) - 6/59
637 R2 - 11/62
637 R3 - also 11/62
Manual 611 was also available as a reprint that was published in 10/69. The publications page reads "Publication No. 611 - 10/1969 1M O.P.".

Having said all that, and given other clues presented here, one might assume that the color illustrations were dropped by 611 R which would make the ebay manual either 577 or 611. Color illustrations however continued to appear in some publications published in the early 1960s.

I am not aware of any of the above mentioned manuals being available in hard cover or loose leaf but that doesn't mean there aren't any.
Very interesting, Jim. Is a catalogue of 750-101 factory publications available?

·
16,232 Posts
Not 750/101 specific, no (that I'm aware of anyway). Alfa did publish a number of 'Publications List' catalogs over the years though. These catalogs contain only the latest (newest version) publications for the models being manufactured at the time the catalog was published. Some previous generation models may be included in some publications list catalogs as well.

A list of all publications applicable to the Giulietta, which I'd think could number in the dozens, would be quite easy for me to create from my existing publications list. To all those interested in such a list, please PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Funny story

I found a factory spider workshop manual (1985 model year) about 20 years ago by the curb, why would anybody throw such a valuable item in the trash? I moved the thing several times (divorce, etc.) and wouldn't you know I ended up with a 1985 spider last year.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
I recently bid on, and lost, an auction for a factory service manual. This was a soft bound version, which featured color printing on selected illustrations. The one color illustration shown in the auction reminded me of the artistry in the service posters that everyone raved about here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/339274-vintage-giulietta-service-posters.html

Here is a screen shot from the auction to show what I mean:
That was not the service or workshop manual you bid on but a drivers/owners handbook, or as Alfa call it "Alfa Romeo Giulietta Instruction book". Here are two versions.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I purchased Giulietta tool posters from Alfa Romeo around 1970. The two posters are in color and contain Giulietta special tool diagrams.

·
16,232 Posts
A list of all publications applicable to the Giulietta, which I'd think could number in the dozens,...
Correction. Make that many dozens.
Listed are 133 technical publications for the Giulietta series. Included are user, parts, parts supplements, workshop, technical specs and flat rate labor manuals in 4 different languages (Italian, German, French & English). NOT included are things like posters, warranty and service coupon booklets.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That was not the service or workshop manual you bid on but a drivers/owners handbook, or as Alfa call it "Alfa Romeo Giulietta Instruction book". Here are two versions.
It was definitely a shop manual, George. Take a look at the pdf in my first post, and you'll see. I will try to capture the images from the auction and post them, if I get some time later today.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Having reviewed the AROC list, which is quite comprehensive, I can add one to the 750 library, this one a brochure issued in April 1954, probably for the introduction of the Sprint at the Turin auto show that month. (Can someone confirm the date of the show?)

It is pub. no. 5423, issued 4-1954, quantity 10,000. It is clearly preproduction - the Sprint has a hatchback and an external fuel filler in the right rear quarter.

See attached photo of the brochure that I have.

Attachments

·
16,232 Posts
Nice little gem there, Tom!
May I ask what kind of brochure this is? And in what language?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice little gem there, Tom!
May I ask what kind of brochure this is? And in what language?
The Italians call it a "depliant," which is a flyer. In English, I would describe it as a bi-fold. It is a four-page, two-color sales brochure in Italian. The car depicted is different from the production car in many respects, but this was from a time when the real world Sprints were still prototypes.

Just look at the forward edge of the bumper - it protrudes past the wheel arch opening. This was an artist's depiction, I think, not a retouched photo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts