Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a data base or something of color combinations, interior exterior and tops, for the spiders?

Mine seems kinda mixed up. I have a 74 in ivory paint but the doors and seats don't match. Med brown seats with a matching tonneau cover but black door panels. The seats have been recovered but since the car came with a brown tonneau cover I gather that the original seats were brown as well. The black door panels look original, or at least original style but I would expect them to match the seats.

Is it common for seats and door panels to not match? I can see brown seats being complimentary to ivory paint but would expect the doors to follow suit.

The top has been replaced and is black. Have other color tops been used or is black the factory default. Is a color top only an aftermarket option?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Red, brown and blue door panels are difficult to come by. Everyone stocks the blacks ones, and they all seem to look exactly like the factory door panels did. There were other colored tops but good luck finding one that's not black for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,824 Posts
If you contact Alfa in Italy they will tell you the original color combination.

Ivory probably came with dark red seats or black.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve seen lots of pictures and color combos are all over the place but it’s almost 50 years and lots have been shuffled around. Just curious what was originally done

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
This is a photo of my 1976 Spider as purchased in April 1978. I am guessing this was all original given that the car was nominally 2 years old at the time. Tan or brown seats and black door cards and tonneau cover.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
No carpet. All black vinyl mats. You can just barely make that out in passenger footwell. I am working on my 69 Spider and chose to go with tan seats and door cards. I sold the 76 in 1981 and until I dug out these pictures, I did not remember that the door cards were black. I have purchased tan door cards for my restoration. Tan was not a 1969 option I don't think. I think they were either black or burgundy.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at all the old spider auctions on BaT...color tan/brown seat combos all over the place. Plus black, maroon and other color tops. There is obviously no logic to seat/door card color combos. I'm planning to make new door cards since the 74's were eaten by rats...But I kinda think doors and seats normally should match...

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 79 ivory came with dark brown ('saddle') door cards, seats and top boot, and a tan ('khaki') top. That matches this color chart (pic from an ebay auction) for 1979. It's possible that 74 was different, but my guess is the door cards and top are the commonly available replacements.

Or, perhaps it wasn't originally ivory? Is the paint color sticker under the trunk lid still there?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's Ivory. trunk sticker is still there. Top and seats have been replaced. I'm guessing the PO found either only black tops or the tan tops were too much $$$.

No clue on the doors, they are old and worn out, could be original or not.

I'm not replacing anything except building new door cards. I guess I'll just have to decide which looks better..black or tan...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts