Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I think this is my first real post here so please let me know if I do anything out of line...

I am looking into a 74 gtv that is in need of paint, the car would be painted prior to purchase so here is my question. The car was originally Piper yellow but at this time it is a well faded red, should I go original or stay with the red? The paint job will be a high quality job spray removing windows and painting deep into the engine bay.

Let me know. The red is very classic and as with most, sings to me. The Piper yellow is unique, true to the history of the car but something I have never seen in the flesh.

Thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Look at photos online of the 74 GTV in Piper Yellow and then in Red. You're the one paying the bills, so you need to decide what odanota really would like. The GTV can look beautiful in other colors besides red. I've often wondered how many Alfas over the years have lost their original (unique) color to red.

Have fun deciding...

--Doug
Another (original) red GTV

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
My opinion.

If you are paying someone to do it properly, then paint it any colour you want. If you're worried about originality (or resale) then (try and) stick with the original colour charts. Once it's painted and 'restored' it's no longer original as such, it's likely better

There are more red Alfas now then were ever made, but if you absolutely have to have red then go for it. Your next challenge will be which of the eleventy billion different shades of OEM red that survive today is correct, what colour primer to use to ensure it 'effervesces' correctly and if you should go acrylic, 2pak (single stage or clear over base), water based or find somebody to do it old school in cellulose. Don't forget to paint underneath and only use underseal in the appropriate places.

Or.. just paint it whatever colour makes you giggle and want to drive it. The next owner will really only care about properly sorted rust and mechanical condition.

Looking through the arch window this week I'm quite partial to indigo gray or orange.

Piper yellow looks, washed out to me.
There was a stronger yellow, can't remember the name right now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ditto all the above from Craig - depends how keen you are on originality... Piper yellow is IMHO one of the least attractive colours for a GTV... Giallo Ochra was much more interesting... love those colours in Craig's pics...
Simon

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the advise. Color is such a hard thing especially when you add all of the variables involved with looking up colors on a computer. I do like the orange above but that is not a stock color, correct? Interesting thing about the colors on the GTV's that I have noticed is that the color seems to dictate the build of the car slightly. For example, red Alfa's are easy to find pictures of that are modified to look a bit more sporty, same can't be said for purple or yellow, making the color game even more of a challenge.

Here is a yellow car that is close to the build that I would be going for (granted, this is a 69 not 74).

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Orange (Arancio) as either a pastel or metallic was available, found on the Montreal as a std colour but available for the Bertone coupe too I believe.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
If you paint it Giallo Ochra, then maybe you can sell it as Piper Yellow if you keep it long enough. Just a thought.

In any case, I would stay with a color offered by alfa in that year/model.
I will add, color offered by Alfa for your year/model/interior color.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the suggestions. Sadly I was about $1500 off from making the deal happen. Hopefully something else comes my way.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
As has been stated, it's your car so choose the color you want based on the criteria you choose, whether it be personal preferance, resale value or originality. Reading your posts, it seems clear to me which way you are leaning... "red is very classic and as with most, sings to me." Restoring originality doesn't seem on the top of your criteria list since your "build" appears to be somewhat modified, without bumpers. While I don't quite agree with your comment that "color seems to dictate the build of the car slightly'" I do think it's simply that red is the predominate italian car color, and as more of these cars are modified and/or restored, and their values increase, they are more likely to be repainted the generally accepted classic color... red.

None the less, as you said "(Giallo) Piper yellow is unique." From my experience, it is sometimes mistaken for Giallo Ochre by those unfamiliar with Alfas of this vintage. It was not my prefered color when I bought my car. It is a somewhat pale yellow with a hint of green and gray. Its appearance will change with the lighting, looking paler in bright sunlight, and with the green/gray tint showing under dimmer lighting. In the 20 plus years I've owned the car, I've always received compliments and appreciation that it is still the original color. While it is not a bright, loud or sporty color, it is easy to spot amongst the sea of red cars at an italian car event, whether it be on a concours field or a line of cars driving by on a tour. The color has certainly grown on me over time, amd I would be hard pressed to change it today.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts