Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently failed my emissions test during inspection. I've done some fuel injection work on the car and expected to go back and pass. That didn't happen, even though i found a problem and fixed it i'm still not passing.
I have 2 choices, i can spend more money then i bought the car for trying to fix the emissions or I could just register it collector.
In NJ it used to be really simplem, you went to the DMV and told them you were registering as a collector, they gave you a piece of paper. Then you went to a inspection station, they took an odometer reading and sent you on your way.
Now they've changed the whole process and made it a pain in the butt. You have to fill out this form (not a problem), you have to take 5 pictures of the vehicle from various angles (annoying but not a big deal), proof of collectors insurance (you had to do this before too), and finally you have to submit evidence that the car is in limited quantity.
To prove that its in limited quantity, you have to provide evidence from either the manufacturer, or a recognized car club (on letterhead, or a collector organization that the vehicle was produced in limited quantity or that a limited quantity still exist. What constitues a limited quantity? which source should i use? :confused:
any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
did you change the cat? as a rule that is needed on the tests here now they have the dyno.
do not know what they have there.
after that the numbers are all very close to 0 and a easy pass.
post your numbers you got. or do a search. a new cat should cost less then $200 installed. $100 for the cat and what ever the welder charges

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't replaced the cat
I tried twice here are my numbers:
Test - Required - first_test - second_test
NOx 1273 2170 2511
HC 167 236 169
CO .94 .85 .82 PASS
Passed the rest

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
when I changed the cat

before 227HC 3.18CO 475NO
after 24HC 0.01CO 17NO
and about 2x the power too

I now need a new cat again so it lasted about 4 or 6 years. but I was burning oil.
I can't rember if I did 2 or 3 passes on that cat

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow those are some pretty signifcant gains for emissisions. Looks like i might be giving this a shot.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did replace the O2, i had heard that the NOx wouldn't be significantly effect by the cat and since my other numbers weren't too high I figured that the cat wasn't too bad but it probably is

1 - 7 of 7 Posts