Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 graduate and the cold start valve no longer opens when the engine is cold making it hard to start. I know the part is nolonger available so what do I replace it with?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Have you tested the thermo time switch to make sure it's not that? Those have been known to fail. I had one that worked but had built up resistance internally, for example, so it wouldn't flow enough current to open the cold start injector.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Has the valve been tested by applying battery voltage (+ and -) directly to the two electrical connectors on the valve? If so, and the valve doesn't work, I'll probably have a used one floating around. If the valve does work with voltage applied, then the most likely cause would be a failed Thermo Time Switch (TTS).

I
type
too
slow

·
Administrator
17,002 Posts
Are we discussing the Cold Start Injector (CSI) or the Aux Air Valve (AAV)? ("no longer opens when the engine is cold" makes me wonder if it's the AAV he's asking about.)

If it is the CSI we're discussing, a place like OK Injectors might be able to resurrect it if it is simply clogged.

If it is the AAV then a manual version is a good option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I found an AAV for a Milano on ebay:
NEW - GENUINE Bosch 0280140188 Idle Air Control Valve Auxiliary Air Valve AAV
( 231047505861 ) for $79. Works fine. Others on the board have pointed out, I believe, an AAV used on Nissans that is available and cheaper at on line parts houses... don't recall which ones, maybe Auto Parts Whse... I recall I could not tell if the electric connection was a full match so I got the more expensive Milano one off ebay.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Yeah, the AAV was used on a lot of cars, and there are some Japanese parts that are clones.

From my understanding the only real difference between versions is the shape of the cutout in the plate, which theoretically gives different flow performance as the AAV warms up. But given how coarse the flow control performance of these things seems to be in practice and that there's a bit of adjustability in them, I'm reasonably sure any similar AAV could be made to work well enough.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I would think that it would be easier to troubleshoot your AAV than to replace it with some other apparatus. Spray with carb cleaner, shake it out. Adjust if you can to see the 'half moon shape' of the disk inside when cold, using guide found on this forum. If it can't be adjusted to work when frozen, or placed in the toaster oven (or pot hot water), then they are still readily available, but can be expensive.

The same part is used on the KJet systems of BMW 320i's (E21) and Volvo cars. I was surprised to see an AAV on my 86 Spider...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cleaned it with brake cleaner washed it out with soap
Baked it no movement then put it in the freezer no luck.
Then I was told I should use a 12volt source and apply it to the contacts to see if it will move again no luck so that's why I'm investing in a manual version.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Yeah, if you cleaned it and it doesn't move when heated then not much you can do except replace it. All the 12V does is activate the internal heater: your oven test already did the same thing.

I'd rather get a new one than install a manual valve, but to each his own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts