Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 85 graduate as a known project. I was told it has a few cold starting problems and will only start with starter fluid until it has been running a few minutes. I have had it out driving a little (I want to go through some other parts of the engine before I drive it too much) and it usually does require starting fluid to start. Once I start it on the juice I need to keep giving it a little gas for the first 3 minutes or so until the engine warms up so it can idle on its own. I was thinking of replacing the Cold Start Valve and TTS both with items I can pick up off eBay, but was wondering if that is a likely cause, and if there is any way to test them before I drop $200+ on ebay or $400+ on pages like Vicks. Once I get the cold start figured out, I can move onto getting this beauty on the road more and the other issues it has. Thank you all for your help!!!!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,534 Posts
The CSV and TTS help with starting but are inactive once the car starts. So your issue where it won't cold idle points to some other problem.

I would suggest going through the whole L-Jetronic guide here. It tells you how to test those parts but you likely have something else going on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts