Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a overnight to Sacramento. On the way down and back I noticed that the temperature of the car was running about 120 deg. constant. This is way to cold for any car. Would you guess that my thermostat is stuck open?

·
Premium Member
6,393 Posts
Might be...

I would check first to see if the temp is truly 120F-- drive the car for a while, and if you have a laser thermometer, put it on the top of the thermostat housing-- if you don;t have, try carefully to touch it --if 120 F you will be able to touch it reasonably

I always want to know first if its a true temp, then second, if it is, then yes I would suspect the tstat

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A trip to Harbor Freight is in order for Wed. to pick up a digital readout for temp. and see what this car really is doing. I had the heater wide open and it was just warm enough. I was thinking the temp should be about 160+ to be effective. Even the gas mileage was in the tank...around 21.8 for the trip. To replace the thermostat, you don't have to remove the T-belt do you? Just unbolt the old thermostat, clean the gasket and install the new one...right?

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
On cold days, this is just what my cars have occasionally done with stuck-open thermostats. Neither good for gas mileage nor internal lubrication on the liners and rings. Get it fixed soon.

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
If it is the thermostat, be sure to replace it with a 87 degree C, and not the 83 degree.

·
1991 164L
27,634 Posts
Parts list for 24v water pump and thermostat

If it is the thermostat, be sure to replace it with a 87 degree C, and not the 83 degree.

Also prepare for the worse and hope for the best. So first off be sure you get neoprene poppet 87ºC thermostat, new bleed fitting/copper sealing washer, upper, mid paper gaskets, lower steel gasket, two orings for 24v engine pipe between heads, two short hoses to heads and three new M7x55 1.00 bolts.

Now hope you only need thermostat and upper gasket because all three bolts will come out easily and not shear off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
...and anti-seize compound on the three thermostat housing bolts when you put it back together.

Ask me how I know. ;)

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a BIG CAN of antiseize here and use it on just about everything that goes back together. I also have a good stash of Q-tips for applying this stuff, as if you get to much on anything it spreads like a plague and it a pain to clean up. I will definitely call tomorrow and order the correct parts. I looked at the thermostat today and saw the 3 bolts referred to. Yeah, from what I read, lets hope the last person that put this part in used some antiseize to make my job easier.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a new thermostat, gasket and bolts from Alfa Parts. The next day I had them on the door step. Drained off enough fluid to pull the thermostat, gently removed the 3 bolts. I was very concerned they were going to break off, fortunately they didn't.

The thermostat was wide open after it cooled off.

Cleaned the gasket, swapped the parts and put in new antifreeze. Now the car is putting out some heat from the heater again. I was mainly concerned that the catalytics were going to over heat from to rich of a mixture, but I think the computer adjusted for that.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
I ordered a new thermostat, gasket and bolts from Alfa Parts. The next day I had them on the door step. Drained off enough fluid to pull the thermostat, gently removed the 3 bolts. I was very concerned they were going to break off, fortunately they didn't.

The thermostat was wide open after it cooled off.

Cleaned the gasket, swapped the parts and put in new antifreeze. Now the car is putting out some heat from the heater again. I was mainly concerned that the catalytics were going to over heat from to rich of a mixture, but I think the computer adjusted for that.
Either the cat converters are forgiving (I'm pretty sure mine is original; Even with slipping cams and 133,000 miles it works well) or the Motronic is clever enough to keep thins in line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts