Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given the ignition problems I've been having I thought, upon recommendation from folks here, to start resting components.

SoI can't get any readings off my coil wire, not resistance or even continuity. I assume that's a bad thing? But it's an Alfa, so it's probably worth asking.

EDIT: The wire keeps seems to keep working itself loose from the coil. When I removed it for testing, it was basically just resting in the coil with the boot applying enough pressure to hold it more or less in place. Is it possible the lousy conductivity resulting from a bad connection could be creating the intermittent loss of power issues I've been experiencing? I fiddled with the connecting end and it seems to be FIRMLY in place now. I figured the car would just shut off if power was lost, but could a reduction in conductivity result in not enough juice getting to the plugs, thus resulting in power loss?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
It's a wire no resistance. It's BAD! Had the same issue. It ran weird, but much better since I changed it.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's what I was thinking, but I also thought maybe my HF voltmeter is crap. It does pretty well for measuring RPM though... I mean, the test light flickers when I plug it up so I know they're getting SOMETHING. I also plugged up a spare plug just to visibly observe the spark. I just can't get a tone on the continuity test or any measurement of resistance whatsoever. Might run the set over to my friendly neighborhood parts store for a check.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
Some plug wires have metal conductors and others have a carbon filament. The carbon filament ones seem to have a shorter life. I only buy metal conductor wires.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
The ohm/foot varies with the brand and type of wire. Spiral metal core wires are typically a few hundred ohm/ft. 8kohm/ft is within the normal range for carbon filament wires.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, so OE wires are non-resistance wire with resistors in the bakelite connectors. So that's why I'm getting a consistent 2500 ohms. I think that's also why I'm not getting a tone on the conductivity test. The unit probably doesn't generate enough juice to get past the resistors. Right?

EDIT: NM. 2.5 is spec.

But the car definitely has symptoms of bad wires. Rough idling, bad fuel economy, rich running. And if the coil wire is fried and shorting out from time to time, there's my intermittent power loss issue too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts