Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the 164 L that I just bought has a miss. I read the codes and I get a 1223. It backfires through the intake and runs rough. It did use a lot of fuel on the 60+ mile trip home. Seams like maybe 2 cylinders are missing?

I changed the Ebay K&N cone filter plate thing. Also put a good AFM and stock filter box back in the car no luck there. I did a compression test and about 210 in each cylinder. Checked for air leaks. Plugs (Lodge) wires cap and rotor are new as well as the cat and 02.

I am thinking injector(s) are bad/clogged.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Backfires through the intake likely means too much fuel stay/collect in the intake. Even though compression is good, have you double check engine timing? Pull injector one at a time to try to locate problem cylinder!

·
1991 164L
27,634 Posts
Check firing order of wires

Since you say it has a new cap and rotor I suggest you recheck that they didn't get a spark plug wire plugged in wrong in cap.

I bought a beautiful low mileage 77 Fiat 131 for $200 one time in early 80's and only thing wrong was they had forced a Murphy proofed ignition rotor on by reversing rotor and rounding off square peg on rotor into the round hole on dizzy shaft and it wouldn't even run but back fired like crazy through carb.

We drover the P out of it until my son kissed a Chevy Suburban with it when he was in high school

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the fireing order and where is #1 on the cap? This cap is not marked and I have no other 12v to go by.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Bob,

Well I had that correct so I will have to pull the injectors and go from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts