Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just finished fabricating a set of headers for my v-6 swap, looking for opinion/experience on whether to ceramic-coat them. Space is tight so heat is my concern, although I do like the naked look. If needed, I want to do it before I run them on the engine.
Snake Scaled reptile Reptile Serpent Terrestrial animal

Silver Body jewelry Nickel Jewellery Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Gas Grille Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
775 Posts
I realize there's a huge upside to minimizing underhood temperatures. What are downsides to coating besides cost? Mainly, does the ceramic coating crack eventually? When I hear ceramic, I think brittle. This is probably a non-issue for seldom use cars, but what about DDs?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Check out Engine Masters show on heat wraps on headers vs coated vs unpainted. I think I remember that applying heat wrap to headers was by far the best and ceramic coating and raw were equal in performance. Coat for long term appearance.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have seen headers that have been wiped down on the outside with just eng oil and then run to get hot, lot's of smoke but when they cool off, they have that nice blueish cooked look to them

Thanks, Rick

·
Supporting Vendor
4,522 Posts
Stan,

Not all coatings work equally. I've had good luck with Cerakote brand coatings.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Think you should research ceramic coating to be better informed. Its not pottery. Coating inside improves flow, coating outside protects metal n reduces heat in engine compartment. Jet Hot or Cerakote are both well known sources with tons of info on their sites

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
The primary benefit is cooler underhood temperatures. Many ceramic coaters try to push this off as creating more power due to cooler temps. Engine Masters seemingly blew that theory out of the water. All three yielded little to no performance gain out of any of the thee options. Should take a look at the episode.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks to all. I don't think wrapping is a viable option for me. primaries are very close together, and I went with a slip collector so they come out individually. Will go with ceramic coating, looks like there is a local shop that does it for $200-$275 including prep. Not sure if they are a cerakote shop, but their chromex would be my 1st choice.
Decided to fab my own bundle of snakes for the practice welding. with all the pie cuts, there are 118 individual welds, and still lots of room for skill improvement. Fortunately my time has no value!
Road surface Automotive tire Art Font Electric blue

Automotive tire Rim Beach Motor vehicle Font

1 - 15 of 15 Posts