Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving from Ottawa, ON, Canada to San Diego, CA and I am excited about driving my 1986 Spider Veloce year round. However, I am nervous about the salt air. Can anyone who lives on a coast recommend a way to keep my Alfa rust free. How regularly do I need to wash it (after every use, or about every other week, like now)? Do you spray on an oil rust protection? What about the electronic rust protection (i.e. "Counteract")?
Thanks.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I live just up the road from San Diego in Laguna Beach. If you are lucky enough to live right at the ocean, I mean where you can smell the sea, it can be a problem. When I rented a place close to the ocean like that I did have trouble with things rusting in the garage. Its the fog and salt in the air that is a problem. I don't think driving about on nice days is a problem, and most all days are nice! Frankly, I expect you will have far, far, far fewer rust problems than in Ottawa! It's probably rainy and freezing there right now! And I bet they salt your roads! Here in SoCal it's 70 degrees and sunny, as usual.
However, if you live inland just a bit things are nice and dry. It is southern California and our humidity is very low. You should have zero concerns if you are 1 mile from the ocean.
What to do if you live right at the coast? Get a good sealed garage and run air conditioning or dehumidifiers, particularly during the foggy months.

Carl

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,541 Posts
there's a place in the 'miata' clubsite that shows you how to make your own waxoil.. easy to make fill all the crevases in the car as you spray/pump it in, stick to everything.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jenjer,

As Carl said, if you live about a mile away from the beach you have nothing to worry about. You'll love SD with the spider. The weather is great and she is well suited to cruise the coast. Don't get stuck on the inland freeways like 15 if you don't have A/C. But you'll enjoy cruising all over the coast, with great rides from Coronado Island all the way up to Oceanside, with lots off-shoots roads heading east.

Best of luck and welcome to Cal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The roads up here do get extremely rough during the winter (salt, slush, potholes galore) so my little friend is hibernating in my garage for a few more weeks.
I still fear the rust monster though. I will be working at NAS North Island and hopefully I can drive the Alfa to work regularly (or is this a bad idea?). If we are lucky, we will find a place to live by the beaches so I will invest in a good dehumidifier and ensure the garage doors are well sealed. Any other tips, like the waxoil, are welcome.
I cannot wait to go for a run up the coast all next winter!!!
Thanks
Jeremy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jeremy,

I think you'll be just fine. The fog issue is not that big in SD if you live a couple of blocks away from the beach. Even then, a good Regular sealed garage will enhance the job.

On the outside, I would make sure that your baby has a high quality fresh wax job a couple of times a year. On below, it wouldn't hurt to spray it with fresh water every six months, if you think the fog issue is an issue.

I'm big on boating and fishing and deal with salt water all the time. I have a tough Whaler with a bunch of HP, been out the Gate more than a hundred times chasing Salmon, Tuna, you name it. Always flush the engines with fresh water and Salt Ex, as well as washing the entire hull and all is fine (lots of SS fittings though).

I think your Alfa will be just fine in SD. Normal care is all that is necessary in my opinion. Nothing extraordinary.

Now, are you gonna ship the baby or you're gonna drive it?

Best of luck Jeremy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts