Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched this beautiful Alfa Romeo 8C Competition at 'auction' for almost three weeks. Co-Part lists mostly wrecked or damaged vehicles -this one for 'Crashed Toys' in Texas. It was so very tempting as the car seemed to languish in the $54,000 range for most of that time. I have a cardinal rule to never buy a car 'sight unseen'. I did not have time to fly to Texas to check this car out. I know from watching a lot of Sam Crac videos on You-Tube, a multitude of sins can be covered up on wrecked cars!

As it turns out, I also didn't have the funding to buy this car on such short notice. I thought about selling an older 8 cylinder Alfa, a Montreal, to buy the Comp car but it just wasn't meant to be...

https://www.copart.com/lot/23438139/Photos

I kept wondering what happened to this car and finally Googled up the vin number to find that it sold for $120K:

https://en.bidfax.info/alfa-romeo/1236510-alfa-romeo-8c-competizione-2008-red-47l-8-vin-zarja181680039679.html

I wonder where this rolling sculpture is now; does anyone know?

Mark

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I thought I read on another forum that the carbon fiber chassis is cracked and likely not salvageable, and that the Maserati engine can be had elsewhere for cheaper, so what is the real value of this wreck? Did it really go for 120K? Are there $120k of parts on it?

·
Out of the office!
11,210 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes SOLD for 120K -according to BidFax. I just heard Sam Crac say that repaired exotics with a salvage title typically lose only about 20% of their resale value -compared with about 50% for more pedestrian vehicles. This car really did not look all that bad but it is hard to tell if any work has been done on a car to make the damage appear to be less than it really is. Here is a good example of what to watch out for -on this ACR Viper:

My second Alfa Romeo S2 spider had a salvage title. I ended up trading it for my 1966 Duetto back in 1984! So I am not opposed to buying a car with a salvage title.

The insurance company has an obligation to return a car to it's original, pre-collision condition. While damaged, it does not look (from the photos) like it would take anything close to 250K to repair the damage. The Copart listing showed an estimated value of $337,840 and that repair costs were estimated to be 252,808. My suspicion was that the insurance companies estimated value for the 'wreck' was 85,032. If that is the case, perhaps they came out better than they expected. Once repaired the owner would probably sue the insurance company for diminished value. It seems that for most body shops, an estimate is just a starting point. Perhaps the insurance company just wanted to 'off' the car to avoid a long series of checks and potential law suits.

The engine would start and run but I was interested in the complete package. It concerned me that the car was on wheel dollies and makes me think there may be damage to the transmission, since the car could not be rolled around on it's own tires and wheels. Years from now, when an 8C is worth a fortune; I'll have a story to tell about the one that I could have bought for only 120K. Perhaps I'll write a book about the Cobra in a box that I could have bought for 18K. Today that car, a 289 Cobra 'Team' car that raced at the '24 hours of Le mans' with Ford sponsorship is probably worth +5M. The chairs and flares 246 GTS Dino could be had for 63K when I looked at it. Almost overnight they went to 300K, then 400...I suspect this will be another one of those -'shoulda, coulda, woulda' cars.

Mark

·
Out of the office!
11,210 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian, where you see hassles, I see challenges and opportunity:). Perhaps had I gone to look at the car, I'd see things differently.

Some of the cars and a truck that Sam Crac bought, had 'frame damage' that was so minor the 'frame repair' cost was $300-400 yet he was able to buy a beautiful F-250 that would retail for 35K+ and own it for less than 15K.

I'd like to see the website Vivace mentioned but I guess it matters not at this point.

Mark

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I can't remember now which forum was discussing this. My impression was that the chassis was badly damaged and crooked, even though the photos don't look that bad. The huge repair cost was to replace the chassis. The chassis can't be replaced as there aren't any available and it comprises most of the car. Hence the big dollar amounts and the totaled call.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
IRONBLOCK,

I am convinced that God has not permitted me to be rich as I would be saving everything I wish I could have bought when they were new. Scalinos would be at the top of the list!!!

Youtube is filled with people "rigging" an easy fix that brings a given car back to "like new" condition; count on that!

8C's are gorgeous, but in this case, it just might be that YOU were the big one that GOT SAFELY AWAY to drive your Montreal!

And that's another one I would spend money on in a New York minute:)

I'm hopeless...

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
There sure are a lot of wrecked Giulias out there. Not sure what is going on with that.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That is interesting; in the move from Crashed Toys in Dallas, to LA, the 8C lost its hydraulic wheel dollies. Perhaps it rolls or drives on its own now. The sad thing is, now the car is stored outside on the CoPart lot. Surely that will do the car no good... Thanks for the update VML!

Those new Giulias are so darn quick -especially the Quadrifoglio, that I suspect it is easy to get in 'over your head' with one.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts