Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I had to drive up to Boston this last weekend, the first long trip in the spider since the spring.

I noticed that after a long run on the interstate, when I came to an exit and had to change down, the first press of the clutch pedal would go to the floor. Pressing it again, everything seemed fine, and then continued to be fine.

The same thing happened on the way home ( I stopped a few times along the way to see if it continued). This problem does not seem to occur while tooling around town, just after the car has had a long run.

Any ideas? I replaced the master slave and hose (but with rubber, not the braided) last year. The master reservoir also has fluid, and it doesn't seem to be leaking any fluid (but I'm going to check that again after the car has sat for a few days).

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am experiencing a similar problem with my '71 spider, only the same quirk will happen occasionally when I first start out. Not always, just occasionally.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
If you can get it to "pump up", it's likely that the seals inside the Master cylinder, are not sealing, allowing fluid to go past them.
If no fluid is leaking/gone, that's a good bet.
Rebuild/replace.

jeff

·
Registered
416 Posts
Maybe the clutch hydraulics need to be bled. Check the various fittings for tightness. If one of them is loose, air may have entered the system.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
It can also occur pretty much just like that if the rod at the master cylinder is adjusted incorrectly or if there's a return spring put on the clutch fork to pull it (and thus the slave piston) back when you let off the clutch. (just because there's a hole in the fork for a spring doesn't neccisarily mean there's supposed to be a spring ;) )

Goofy stuff like having to pump it just once first thing in the morning or after a bit of a drive where there's no regular use of the clutch to keep the fluid where it should be.

Basically it kinda back-bleeds itself to the point where the ports in the slave get blocked by the piston moving inwards just a bit too far.

·
Registered
738 Posts
It can also occur with high speeds affecting the underbonnet temperature & vapour locking the fluid in the lines. have a careful look at the exhaust header & how close the fluid lines are. My twin spark betone suffered terribly with your symptoms until the header was lagged.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Jeff could very well be correct, your master cylinder may be leaking by. I suspect you have air in the system, though. I have run into the same symptoms on other cars, and it was a result of trapped air bubbles.

Remember you must rotate the slave cylinder so the bleed nipple is at 12 o'clock to be sure of getting the last bubble out. The slave is retained by a snap ring, and can be rotated in the boss where it fits.

There's a bleed kit available with a plastic bottle, clear plastic line and a check valve. With this, you can pump the pedal repeatedly without opening/closing the bleeder, since the check valve will not allow backflow. Be sure you have a bit of fluid in the bottle, and don't let your master cylinder run dry!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts