Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the "gearbox" forum. Guess that includes clutch by association? I'm rebuilding my 105 hydraulic clutch gearbox, so I'll go with it.

Simple question...does the washer in the diagram below much matter? I think it is supposed to go where I am pointing in the picture farther below. Mine is gone and seems like I'd need to pull that actuator (or whatever you call it) that is pressed into the bellhousing out to get the washer on anyway. Is it really necessary?

Am I even correct in assuming the washer in the diagram is the one that goes on the actuator in the bellhousing? Or do I have that wrong altogether? Received the gearbox disassembled, so having to sleuth a bit as I put it back together.

Thanks.

IMG_6344.jpg

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't believe that this is a washer, it is a rubber cup boot that fits between the pivot and the release fork. If you cannot find it as an Alfa part, BMW 2002's use the same setup on the fork, pivot and spring retainer.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, better to call that a pivot than actuator. In the diagram above, Alfa actually calls it a "washer".

At any rate, below are pictures on an old bellhousing I have that shows the (broken) washer around the pivot. It's metal, but very flimsy and, in the pictures below, broken in half. And I don't see that part available, which, coupled with being so flimsy, makes me think it is probably superfluous.
IMG_6345.JPG
IMG_6346.JPG

·
Premium Member
13,371 Posts
Its purpose is to retain grease in the pivot. The ball recess in the pivot arm definitely wears.

·
Super Moderator
10,099 Posts
I agree with stphers - there is a black, rubber cup in there that serves to retain grease. You don't need to remove the ball pivot to install it; it just stretches over the ball. Your clutch will certainly work without this part, but having one in place should extend the life of your throw-out fork. I never knew that you could substitute a BMW part, but that sounds reasonable.

I found the diagram below at the Maximillian Importing site ( http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ST12&mospid=47140&btnr=21_0236&hg=21&fg=05 ). Part #6 is called the "Gasket ring" and is p/n 21510670070 selling for $8.05. A local BMW dealer might have this part under that p/n.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah - this is great everyone. Super helpful. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Let us know if the BMW part works. As the part has not been available for years.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will report back.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know there is al Alfa one available, too - thanks for find that.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The BMW part is no longer available either. Guess I will try to find some sort of grommet/boot sort of thing at the hardware store.

·
Super Moderator
10,099 Posts
I have a memory of someone suggesting a substitute part (I thought in this thread, though darned if I can find it). Would an Alfa gear shift lever top seal work? See: https://classicalfa.com/gb039-gearbox-top-rubber-seal/ Note that I haven't tried this personally; just think I remember someone suggesting it.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, l just happen to have one of those sitting around so I’ll give it a try and report back. Thanks for the idea

·
Super Moderator
10,099 Posts
Well, l just happen to have one of those sitting around so I’ll give it a try and report back. Thanks for the idea
Wish I could take credit for the idea, but have this memory of someone else suggesting it. Yes, please do report back if that part will fit.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So that gearshift lever top seal almost works. It is just a little too big.

Off to the hardware store...guessing something there will work, as long as it stands up to the heat.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I wonder if a seal from a rear brake wheel cylinder would work ? Heat, I would think, should not be that big an issue

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I take it back...the gearbox rubber top seal works just fine. I looked too hastily before...it fits fine. Just to be clear for posterity, this part:

·
Premium Member
13,371 Posts
That is good to know. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts