Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1974 Spider, US - My clutch throw out bearing was making a low pitch squeak noise when pressing on the clutch pedal. The clutch MC was leaking also. Was keeping an eye on the clutch fluid level. When driving , I lost clutch function and clutch is now engaged and stuck. I replaced the clutch MC, bled the lines well at the slave cylinder, the slave cylinder moves the pivot fork about .375 of an inch. Problem is, the clutch won't disengage. I'm assuming the throw out bearing is stuck. Clutch feels soft, but is moving the fork like it should. Is there any way to manually free up the throw out bearing, and maybe lube it well enough to get it working again, without pulling the transmission? Would like to be able to drive, rather than tow it to my local Alfa guru to replace the bearing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have seen a seize TOB eat through the fingers of the PP leaving it INOP...But I can not tell whats wrong with yours from my local !

·
Registered
99 Posts
I went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Here is the link

Unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do at this point except pull the transmission (or engine and transmission) and pull it apart to see what is going on. If the fork is moving the specified amount, 11-12mm as I recall and the throw out bearing is moving, the problem is not there.

In my case, I found a broken clutch plate, where the straps that held the diaphragm to the friction plate broke, so even though the fork and throw out bearing moved as they should, the clutch wouldn't disengage.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts