Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got this 1989 spider. Took it out for a spin and the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor. I pulled it up, but now it just flops around with no resistance. Any idea what is wrong? thanks

·
Premium Member
22,971 Posts
Could be the hydraulics (master, slave, or both, and hose) have failed, or the clutch pedal shaft has broken at the weld. Both are not uncommon. Is there fluid in the reservoir?
Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,971 Posts
The cylinders can be not leaking, but not pressurizing enough to move fluid.
To test if the clutch arm is broken, push the pedal up and down, and have someone watch in the engine compartment, if the clutch MC pushrod moves in and out with the pedal. If not, the weld right there at the bellcrank is usually where it breaks as the weld weakens.
Andrew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as a matter of fact, the pedal does not stay up at all. it falls to the floor on its own weight. does it sound like the arm is broken? if so, how difficult is it to fix it? thanks...

·
Premium Member
22,971 Posts
You have to do the above test to see if it's broken; I can't see it from here.
To fix, I would remove the whole pedal box, which is not a small job. Some I think have figured out how to slip a new shaft in there without pulling the whole box out. It's probably written up here on the BB somewhere, as it's a common failure. New shaft is about $70. You still need to check the above symptom. If the shaft isn't broken, replacing it won't solve your problem.
It is a LHD Spider, correct?
Andrew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
found out that the shaft was sheared off at the weld. looks like a tricky job. Is it better to re-weld or buy a new part which may break again in the near future?

·
Premium Member
22,971 Posts
The new ones made now are stronger, with a larger shaft at the weld area. Still, even if you found an original Alfa one, you'd still probably get 30 years out of it.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
See attached

as a matter of fact, the pedal does not stay up at all. it falls to the floor on its own weight. does it sound like the arm is broken? if so, how difficult is it to fix it? thanks...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts