Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to track down why my reverse gear and second grind intermittently grind despite being a freshly rebuilt gear box and determined the reason to be that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Now I've adjusted the master cylinder for no play in the peddle, changed the clevis pin, and ended up finding that with the clutch engaged (not pressing on the peddle), the clutch slave wiggles and has some play in it. This is a new slave from centerline. This leads to the pushrod misaligning and pushing on the fork at an angle which in turn doesn't disengage the clutch fully.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there a way I can space it out? Thanks!

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,061 Posts
both C clips on it?.. are they seated in the slots? are you drinking choc. milk? :whistle:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both C clips on it?.. are they seated in the slots? are you drinking choc. milk? :whistle:
Both are on and both are seated...

Maybe I need to add the chocolate milk to my daily routine...

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
yup....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
from all the ones i have done.. there can be ' some ' wiggle.. if we found it..i installed a little thicker C clip on one side.. the easy side

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hate to say this but, double check
At this point I'll be quadruple checking :LOL:. I'll jack the car up and post a picture in the morning. Is it supposed to be a snug fit? It really has a lot of side to side play in it

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
weld...just kidding... its easy to over look something like this... my answer hours are closed now..must go to bed now, before my cat gets the best spot

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from all the ones i have done.. there can be ' some ' wiggle.. if we found it..i installed a little thicker C clip on one side.. the easy side
I think this might be what I need to try. I'll see what I can figure out in the morning. Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I ended up making a little shim and putting it behind the circlip and sure enough it got rid of the wiggle and works great! That being said it's still not fully disengaging so I think I'll have to pull the tranny :mad:to check out what is going on. I'm getting full travel at the slave it just seems like the arm on the slave is slightly to short which I know is not the case...

There is still a good bit of play in the fork so maybe one of the retaining clips fell out without me noticing or I somehow installed the clutch wrong. I'll have to dig in to find out.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,085 Posts
Before you rip open the clutch, verify your clutch master rod length is set to spec. Also make sure your clutch pedal pivot hasn't failed: grab the clutch pedal and try to pull it towards you. If it moves up then the pivot is no bueno.

·
Richard Jemison
8,204 Posts
All the replacement slaves have a push rod that`s at least 5/16 short.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before you rip open the clutch, verify your clutch master rod length is set to spec. Also make sure your clutch pedal pivot hasn't failed: grab the clutch pedal and try to pull it towards you. If it moves up then the pivot is no bueno.

View attachment 1684860
I have it set to spec and even a little longer to try to increase travel but still nothing. The pivot looks ok, a local alfa guy who knows much more than me also took a look at it and thinks the same.

There is a last bit of play in the clevis pin. I'm going to try replacing that before pulling the tranny in a last ditch effort.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
the clevis pin can wear out as well getting a deep grove in it. also the clevis itself the hole, will become oval....i/we always replace the clevis an clevis pin drring repair the pedal get the most work after the gas pedal... lots and lots of shifting

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
and drink choc. milk :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Replaced the clevis pin and readjusted it and still no luck. Looks like I'll be pulling the tranny over the next weekend...

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
can you pull the clutch arm.. is loose in the clutch pin?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey, maybe too late but how did you bleed your clutch? I just did mine and couldn’t get anywhere near the pedal I wanted until I moved the slave cylinder in while bleeding several times. Even with the motive power bleeder I had air in that slave. I read on the BB to push the slave in, and after doing that five/six times, being careful not to run out of fluid + motive power bleeder, my pedal is FIRM.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
big vise grips to hold the bleed screw on the top.. then install a 35 inch long clear vinel hose on the bleeder..// route the hose up thru the engine bay, then into a small water bottle 1/3 filled with brake fuild to keep the end of the hose into... then pump pedal slowly till all bubbles in the hose are gone... keep the hose for later use( you will need it later ) then a tall glass or choc. milk,.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts