Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Clutch replacement 1986 Spider Quad?

10K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  spiderserie4 
#1 ·
I wanted to get some opinions for clutch replacement on my 1986 Alfa Spider Quadrifoglio. Would this be an extremely hard job to do myself, or should I leave it to my mechanic? I have a garage work space and a strong teenage son to help me.

I'd appreciate any opinions - thanks!
Steve

Discussion starter · #3 ·
No, I don't really have a way to get the car up too high, other than some small ramps that I have.

I can tell the clutch is starting to slip. It's especially noticable when I step on the gas quickly at about 3K revs. The tach goes up nearly to redline, with no increased speed of the car.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your input, guys!

Speaking of Alfa mechanics, mine here in Baltimore has to be among the best and most honest in the business. I won't name names (Paul), but this guy is the best mechanic I've worked with. And he works almost exclusively on Alfas.

While I'm tempted to stay tough, as Hal says (after all, the first thing I did when I got this car 6 years ago was to tear the head off and replace the head gasket and other stuff...), I'm not sure. It's just so darned expensive going to the shop.

I just might have to give D....F Bros the business!
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.