Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 24 years of ownership I am replacing my clutch. I am replacing the twin plate clutch with a rebuilt Milano unit. Everything is going well but I do have a question. I have gotten the clutch fork out but it appears that to put it back in I will have to drain some of the clutch slave cylinder hydraulic fluid out in order to push the rod back so I can get the fork back end. Is that a correct assumption?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going with the single plate because most Alfa mechanics I know feel it is a better solution. It should be less grabby and the single plate can take the torgue and power as it was standard on the Milano 3 liters. Also the twin plate is not available. I quess I could have rebuilt the one in my car if it is rebuildable but then I would have to wait until I had it out of the car. Bottom line is that twin plate has no advantage ove the single plate. Terry

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have heard many mechanics say this too, and I would disagree. I have driven both, and the twin plate to my mind was better to drive. I found the single plate too heavy compared to the twin plate, and it was only slightly less grabby. I think it really does depend on cost. The trouble is, the orignal twin plates aren't that great. The new sachs twin platers are superior quality, but hugely expensive!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Haven't had any problem putting the fork back in, just takes a little force once it's aligned with the throw out bearing, but opening the clutch save might save you a headache or too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi Terry,
I'm a little confused about your question. I just happend to replace my clutch and what i did was tie a large rag around the slave cylinder so that it couldn't extend ( i don't know if this is necessary but i thought it was a good precaution). I put in the new clutch (minus all the steps in between) then it takes some time to get the clutch fork to go over the throw out bearing but once that was done i just lined up the slave cylinder and untied my rag.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have heard many mechanics say this too, and I would disagree. I have driven both, and the twin plate to my mind was better to drive. I found the single plate too heavy compared to the twin plate, and it was only slightly less grabby. I think it really does depend on cost. The trouble is, the orignal twin plates aren't that great. The new sachs twin platers are superior quality, but hugely expensive!!
Not that it helps answer the question in the thread but I've had doubles and singles in my car and my experience is the opposite - the double is much heavier than the single, and the double grabbed harder. In very bad bumper to bumper traffic there were times I'd be pressing on my knee to push it in after a while. The double is certainly more cool to brag about but that's about it, unless you're after absolute orginality.

GV

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi,
I'd like to chime in on this subject as well, I own a milano and a gtv6 and have experienced the double and single clutch and my opinion is that you'd have to jump from one to the other to tell the difference.
Bob
Not that it helps answer the question in the thread but I've had doubles and singles in my car and my experience is the opposite - the double is much heavier than the single, and the double grabbed harder. In very bad bumper to bumper traffic there were times I'd be pressing on my knee to push it in after a while. The double is certainly more cool to brag about but that's about it, unless you're after absolute orginality.

GV

·
Registered
110 Posts
I replaced my two disks with original Sachs units in Spring. The pedal pressure is quite low, but all the components are in very good condition. The clutch will sometimes chatter in reverse on a slight uphill or cause a 1st gear crunch if I engage too quickly from a stop..Overall I am very happy about my choice not to upgrade to a single disk...specially because of the prices they command! $175 got me two nos sachs disks on ebay...but relining is a valid option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts