Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I´ve got a problem with my clutch.
It´s slipping (is that the right description?) when shifting gears.
The pedal is really stiff with no play.

Is this something you can adjust? Or is it replacement time?

I´m not really sure if the clutch is mechanichal or hydraulical?

Tia
Jan

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Hi,

Yes, there is a clutch adjustment rod under the transmission which can be adjusted.

However, it is probably time for you to replace the clutch (and pressure plate, thrust bearing and pilot bushing). I did it myself when I was 17.

Alternativly, any Alfa garage can attend to it for you.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks for your reply.
I guessed that change was in order.
The car is stock so would that make my clutch mechanical?

Jan

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked an old work shop manual I got from the original cardisc cd, and the first thing it says about the clutch is that the play in the pedal should be 23 mm. Mine is almost nothing.
For adjustment you use the nut "R".
Can this be a temporary solution?
I´ve got the feeling having read the manual that my clutch probably is "almost" engaged most of the time, could I be right in this assessment? If so I would have to adjust pretty soon before I really screw the clutch up.
Any views over this matter would be welcome indeed from a total mechanical newbie.
Jan

·
Registered
816 Posts
Clutch Adjustment

Yes, go ahead and put some "free play" in the clutch linkage. It may improve the slipping. It also sounds like you may have a sticking pedal shaft. Does it seem hard to push in the pedal? If so, lubricate the pedal shaft with some form of penetrating oil. Spray it into the pedal box and work the pedal back and forth. We have actually had to install a grease fitting in the bottom of the pedal box to fully lube this shaft occasionally.
KG

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paugnut:
Thanks for the tip :)
Into the pedalbox, by that you mean from inside the coupe?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Clutch

Yes,
Spray penetrating oil down the slot of the pedal box, in the interior of the car. Vacuum out any dirt or rust first and then direct the spray lubricant into the bottom of the box where the clutch shaft passes through.
Keith

·
Registered
437 Posts
TMT;

Good luck.

And post pictures.

Cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi everyone and thanks for all advice.
I think I´ll try to adjust the pedalplay first.
I´m a total newbie att mechanics, but I think I can fix it.

Does anyone have pictures of the adjustment rod?

Tia
Jan

·
Premium Member
22,800 Posts
After the very early 105 cars, it's a horizontal cable with adjustable threaded rod running between the pedal box and the tin clutch cover. 8mm thread, takes a 13mm wrench usually on the locknuts. Whole item is maybe 8" long.
Andrew

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to be sure, I took a picture of what I think is the adjustment for the clutchpedal. Am I right that it is to the right?
Tia

·
Premium Member
22,800 Posts
In the picture, the cable/rod combo thing to the left of the brake master cylinder is the clutch cable, yes. Thread it shortly generally as the clutch wears.
Is that a bolt/washer midway along the cable part? If so, not sure what it's doing.
Andrew

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Man, good job with the rust proofing under the car ;^)
Take a look at the position of the arm coming thru the bottom of the trans cover....
I think you are in for a new disk.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andrew:
Thanks for pointing it out for me :)
Yeah, I saw the washer/bolt also wondering what that meant.

101/105: Yeah, there´s a lot to be done ;)
I´m a total newbie with cars, what do you mean by disk?

Jan

·
Premium Member
22,800 Posts
Also, 101/105, I think you might have it backwards. Clutch arm forward (towards engine) means thick disk. Clutch are rearward (towards donut) means worn, thin disk, and you run out of cable adjustment. At least that's how it looks to me.

Jan, sounds like your basic knowledge may not be sufficient to be doing this kind of work without getting into trouble. Any local person who knows Alfas you can involve to show you this stuff firsthand, rather than on the internet, where it's hard to hold a wrench?

Andrew

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
If you have a repair manual for your car, take a look at a picture of the clutch assembly.
The disk is between the flywheel and the pressure plate. The disk wears and becomes thinner as you use the clutch.
When new, the arm below the trans sits in the center of its slot. As the disk wears, the arm moves forward. Yours is very far forward.......

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for your replys.
I´m late in acknowledging this fact but I´ve been gone some time but back now.
I´ll let my local garage check it out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As an update I had the garage check my clutch last week.
They fixed the pedal for free but said next year it+ll be time to change the clutch.
So that´s what I´ll do.
In the mean time it works a whole lot better after adjusting the clutch pedal, so I can prolong the season a bit :D

Thanks all

1 - 19 of 19 Posts