Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,473 Posts
You just didn't read post #4.

Both these jobs can be done without pulling the pedal box, pulling the pedal box just makes things easier. When the clutch pivot pin is stuck and you need to whale on it with a hammer is about the time you realize you should've just pulled the box.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Check out youtube, search ..."alfa clutch pivot"...https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alfa+clutch+pivot
Pivot available at ...http://www.jkortak.com/
I figured for the labor involved..just get a good part....and I can weld!!
Good Luck
Paul

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
pulled the whole thing out yesterday. pretty **** easy. I had already drained all the fluid since I'm going to flush everything anyway. I just disconnected the steel lines and the whole assembly came right out. I did remove the pads, but they were soft and came off easily, surprising since they look original.

Anyway, holding the pin in my hand...I just don't get it...this thing is pretty hefty. I had no idea it was so huge. Every picture I had seen of these there was nothing to scale it to. This pin is about 18mm thick. Even the notched area is still sufficiently strong for the task.

There is a "14" stamped on the end. I find it strange that the replacement pivot pins that I've seen pictured the weld is very small in diameter. Looking at mine, the size/diameter of the weld bead seems to imply that the pin is "full diameter" at the point of welding, and not "stepped down". I would never guess it was necked down like the picture Gubi posted. I can see the seam on the back side but it "appears" that the gap between the parts goes into the arm (a full width pin continuing inside) and the "gap" does not appear to go towards the center of the pin (indicating a stepped down pin).

But...without grinding off the weld and separating the two pieces...no way to tell... Was maybe this part re-designed by Alfa at some point in time? Or does mine look like an aftermarket pin?

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,473 Posts
It wasn’t redesigned by Alfa. Entirely possible yours was replaced at some point with an uprated one, I guess, but as you said it’s hard to tell.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
well after cleaning up the shaft/lever joint...and intensely staring at it through a jeweler's loupe...it really does look like the full diameter of the shaft is going thru the hole in the lever. IDK...without sacrificing it to the metal grinder gods I will never know...

Anyway, what kinda grease should I be using on the shaft? Lithium? Good old bearing grease?

Also, there was only 2 bushings, inside the brake lever. what appears to be some kinda metal bushing in the housing end with perforations? perhaps to hold and retain grease? There was no bushing in the housing at the clutch lever end. there is a very slight amount of play there, making me think maybe a bushing is supposed to be there...but I see none on any diagrams that I have found so far.

And the spring cup for the brake booster. which way does the slot point? I've seen it illustrated slot up and also slot to the side. But not slot down. Does it even matter?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,473 Posts
I like graphite moly there but any EP lithium grease should work too. I don't recall there being a bearing at the clutch lever end.

On the spring cup I think you install it slot vertically so it fits over the rod and then rotate it 90 degrees to lock it in place?

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I can kinda see how it "locks" better pointed to the side rather than vertical. It does seem a little better seated that way.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,473 Posts
Yep, that's how it works, if I recall correctly. While you're at it, put some EP grease on the pivot where the booster fork hits the brake pedal, and make sure that fork pivot bolt assembly is set up properly. All stuff that's easiest to do out of the car.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
fork pivot bolt seems to only go in one way. what is there to "set up"? you are talking about the pivot bolt on the brake pedal? or something else?

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
finally got some time to start putting it all back together....using the old pivot pin lever since it's solid.

but noticed another "clutch pin" that is not so solid...clutch MC to pivot lever joint.

guess I'll be going to the hardware store to find a suitable replacement. Or a bolt with a lock nut...maybe even a short hitch pin?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Its called a Clevis Pin.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I knew it was something "generic"...a pretty common hardware item...just a matter of finding one the appropriate diameter and length...where is Ace Hardware when you need it? HD and Lowes just doesn't have the selection of assorted hardware, even thought they are way bigger stores. Much like the "old school" Radio Shacks...

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
but noticed another "clutch pin" that is not so solid...clutch MC to pivot lever joint.
that is completely knackered!

But, I wouldn't just use a bolt, the threads will cut into the arm.
....you'll find a clevis pin of the right size somewhere, perhaps in a mcMaster Carr store or the like

21 - 37 of 37 Posts