Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. New here. New to alphas in general. Been working on a 1982 spider. Just put a new fuel pump in. Cleaned out the fuel system and injectors. Runs now. But the clutch was an issue before all this. I get almost no push on the pedal. Like it's stuck down. Looks like the pivot weld is OK. It moves a little bit pedal is super stiff. Wont go Into gear. I want to say someone had replaced the clutch in it not super long ago.

What can I check on the hydraulics to see if something is obviously wrong?

·
Administrator
18,190 Posts
Is there fluid in the reservoir? With the pedal fully down the slave pushrod should move the operating fork ~ 1/2"
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Circle

Where does the clutch pedal sit relative to the brake pedal? It should be equal or slightly higher. If you pull up on the clutch pedal does it move up? That is a clue to a failed pivot shaft weld.

·
Registered
1987 Spider
52 Posts
Can you clarify what you mean by "like it's stuck down" and "looks like the pivot weld is okay"?

If the pedal is low, that is the sign that the pivot weld is not okay. You can't tell anything by looking at the pivot weld from the outside, as it breaks on the inside of the pivot shaft. If you can pull up on the clutch pedal and it moves into place where it should be, you can feel confident that your pivot is broken.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I push the clutch pedal in, the pivot arm pushes the piston into the master cyl. But it's very hard. Pedal is all the way down it seems. And it won't let me pull it back up.
Automotive parking light Shoe Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood
Automotive parking light Shoe Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,423 Posts
And it won't let me pull it back up.
Heh, pull harder.

I'm with Brad, that's probably the pivot weld. Happens a lot. There are ways to change it with the pedal box in the car, but personally I find it easiest to just remove the pedal box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heh, pull harder.

I'm with Brad, that's probably the pivot weld. Happens a lot. There are ways to change it with the pedal box in the car, but personally I find it easiest to just remove the pedal box.
I will shove a dildo in my vagina and give it a harder tug lol. I dont want to break anything that isn't already broken. Thanks for the suggestion. Will report back.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
When I push the clutch pedal in, the pivot arm pushes the piston into the master cyl. But it's very hard. Pedal is all the way down it seems. And it won't let me pull it back up.
Could also be a slave cylinder issue or the hoe to the slave cylinder. If the piston on the master is going in, it does not sound like the pivot weld to me.
Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
23,941 Posts
I'm probably asking for it but in 44 years of Alfa ownership I've never had that weld break. I'd first look at dead/sticky master and slave cylinders, and perhaps corrosion etc on the pivot shaft in the alum housing, which can bind it up.
andrew

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,423 Posts
LOL, way to tempt fate, Andrew! I have not been so lucky on the pivot front.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
I am with Andrew on this. Not saying it cant happen though

Reactions: Norseman50

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,423 Posts
It should be easy to tell. Look at the MC clevis. If the clevis is fully extended to the rear and the pedal looks like that, it's the pivot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went out and really pulled on it and the pedal came back out to the brake pedal. Pushed it back a few times and was all the way to the floor again. So im guessing I need to fix this pivot weld problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. Time to find the repair parts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It could very well be the hose to the slave cylinder. A failed hose will act the same way. It is not letting fluid back to the master. Open the slave bleeder and push pedal, if it does not return, the hose is collapsed.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
It could very well be the hose to the slave cylinder. A failed hose will act the same way. It is not letting fluid back to the master. Open the slave bleeder and push pedal, if it does not return, the hose is collapsed.
I agree with Tony. I have seen the exact same thing happen with a stuck slave. I actually bent the pedal arm trying to get it back up and down but the pivot held fine

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seems to me you are going to want to check the slave in any event so I would replace that first with a new hose. A relatively easy job and a lot easier than the clutch pivot. Not sure about the dildo however.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update. I replaced the pivot arm. Clutch pedal went back to normal resting place. But really firm to push in. Long story short.. blew a leak at the slave. Now I gotta replace the slave cyl and hose. Hopefully thats all.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Based on what everyone was saying. And where the pedal was conpaired to the end of the pivot arm, it seemed to have turned inside the weld socket. I tossed the arm out put back together and then it sat in the right spot. So I believe it was a bad pivot arm. Along with some other problem.
Before I couldn't put it in gear without grinding horribly. Now I can put it in any gear and let off the clutch and car stays still and doesn't stall. Clutch is not engaging now due to the slave issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts