Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I'm not sure if this is the correct area for this post but my clutch pedal used to squeak a bit but now it makes like a small popping sound or something. I attached a picture here because my mechanic told me (under the hood) there's a box (somewhere within that red circle) and somewhere within that box contains a clutch axel or pin or something that needs to be replaced. If it isn't replaced then the clutch pedal will eventually disconnect itself from whatever this is. He also informed me that he would have to remove several things to get to it and it would cost in access of $600 or more to do the job. I have had some issues with the mechanic so I'm here to find out more to fix this problem as it could be something simple or something he's not knowing. I own an 86' Alfa Rome Spider Veloce.

Please provide me with any details that you may know. Just in case this post is a bit confusing I will add more about the issue as I inquire more about it.
-Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,112 Posts
Another person said that could be possible.
What the mechanic, and that "other person" are referring to is a failure of the clutch pedal pivot shaft & actuating lever. Those two parts are welded together and the weld tends to crack from fatigue. Here's a photo of the part - you may be able to inspect the weld without disassembling anything.

You may want to read the text on the left of the webpage for this part on the Centerline site: https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catalog/clutch-arm-pivot-115

I'll leave it to others to discuss whether $600 is a fair price to remove and replace this part. The replacement part costs $80, leaving $520 for labor. Assuming the job takes 3 hours, that works out to $173/hr, which does seem a bit pricey.

·
Administrator
16,563 Posts
Some of the links here may be NLA but there are plenty of good photos here: https://www.alfabb.com/threads/clutch-master-cyl-problems.63673/page-2#post-527493

A quick test for a broken pivot shaft weld is to look at the position of the pedal at rest. It should be equal or slightly higher than the brake pedal. If noticeably lower the pivot shaft weld is suspect. To confirm, pull up on the pedal. If it moves up to be equal or slightly higher than the brake pedal the weld has likely failed. I believe some have tried re-welding it in situ but I don't think this has proved successful.

·
Super Moderator
10,112 Posts
If the weld is able to be inspected without dismantle, then I suppose it can just be reweld?
You mean re-weld it without disassembling anything? No, the welded area isn't THAT accessible. I just meant that you could see it, or possibly put your finger on it while a friend worked the pedal, to try to detect movement. Sticking a welder into that area would be tough. Raise your hood and check it out.

Something about contorting myself down the footwell.
Most of the work to complete this operation can be done without contorting down the footwell. That picture you posted in post #1 is where all the action happens - you disassemble all the stuff shown in the photo, working underhood while standing up.

Would anyone know about a manual (if any) on replacing this clutch pivot?
As ghnl wrote, there are many threads here on the BB that discuss this operation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts