Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After working flawlessly since bought, the clutch pedal suddenly got sinking under pressure and stays down, unless lifted, and stays up only under hinge spring. Ran perfect when driven last, about two weeks ago.
Didn't try to check if the the clutch engages or not, not to damage the transmission.

I was advised by my mechanic that the slave cylinder is the most likely culprit. One was ordered and will arrive in some weeks (the part is difficult to source in Israel...).
Since I didn't run a proper diagnostics, are there other "usual suspects", without going into exotics? The hydraulic fluid reservoir is full. Is there a sense to order the master cylinder as well, or it is common to be fixed by slave cylinder replacement?

Thanks in advance

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,629 Posts
Well, if it's not the slave then it's probably the master.

Any leaks under the car at the slave? That would be a pretty obvious hint. Also look under the dashboard at the rear end of the master cylinder: those can leak, and when they do they make a real mess on the inside of the firewall.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Just went through this with mine - if you are not leaking fluid near the trans (or any of the lines), then it is the master. Mine was bypassing the fluid past the piston, but not leaking into the car. Basically it would just recirculate the fluid to the reservoir. Neither slave or master are very expensive. All the $$$ will go to labor, especially for the master.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to every body.
There is no drip or pool of fluid under the car or in the car.
Because I can't safely raise the car and get underneath I have a problem bleeding the system and probably will wait for the slave cylinder to arrive and will tow it to the mechanic....
Apparently I should have bought the master with the slave and saved the shipment...
I will buy the master as well - to be on the safe side. Although those parts are more available than others for our cars, they are sort of perishable and better to have the spares at the shed :), or have the system new from end to end altogether....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hmmm. I recently replaced my master and slave cylinders on recommendation from my mechanic. After replacing them though my clutch pedal doesn't come all the way back up. I have to pull it a little bit with my foot. Would that mean I potentially installed something incorrectly? What should I be checking for?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Mine would sink to the floor when I held the clutch in for a time (at a stop light) and then need to be pulled off the floor. When it got really bad, i woudl just need to touch the pedal and it woudl start sinking to the floor.

Sounds a bit different from your condition Phantom. there is some adjustment in the system and I wonder if that may be what you are experiencing. If it truely is a functional problem, you mechanic should set it right.

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
16,731 Posts
We had this trouble with our 164LS, different car, but sounds like the same problem.

It was particles getting stuck under the seal in the slave, and when it was flushed problem went away, but I changed everything, slave, hose, master, just to get rid of all the crud from evidently a disintegrating hose, particles getting stuck everywhere.

The hoses Alfa used in the later cars, if not all, tended to fall apart internally, sending pieces throughout the system. Same for brake lines.

·
Administrator
14,491 Posts
"Clutch pedal sticks to the floor"

Lift foot off pedal

Pete :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts