Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I was wiring up my 3 wire O2 sensor for my '83 S3 and noticed this sloppy weld. Is the weld on the clutch pedal pivot factory, or something a previous owner did?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
'factory' ain't great when it comes to the pivot arm, but that is something from the Fred Flintstone welding school:)
the soft seal where the pivot arm goes thru the casing has also been burnt off.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
With welding if it looks good, it might be good but if it looks bad, as this one does, it is bad.

A weld can look good but not have enough base metal penetration to actually be structurally sound .

FWIW

Ken

·
Super Moderator
9,944 Posts
Is the weld on the clutch pedal pivot factory, or something a previous owner did?
As others have written, that does not look like something the factory would have done. Here's what the Centerline website says about this part:

The clutch pedal pivot is the actuating arm for the clutch master cylinder. The OEM unit has a habit of failing at the welds causing problems with clutch engagement. Improved aftermarket design, will not shear like OEM unit. Lifetime warranty! $69 Part #CP115

My guess is that this happened to a PO, and he re-welded it without disassembling anything. The longevity of that "fix" is tough to gauge - to be on the safe side, you might want to install a new shaft/arm assembly.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Jesus that is fugly. It may be strong tho and last forever. I would get a new one on hand for the possible failure. Or yank it out and fix it prophylactic like....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it appears that I'm not getting my subscription notifications!

The O2 sensor was wired using supplied connectors (no solder); I was just making the final connections to power the sensor (positive connection on coil), ground, and the computer (green wire).

It's good to know that new clutch pivots are available, so I guess I will be installing a new one, when I get around to the clutch/gearbox renewal!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it appears that I'm not getting my subscription notifications!

The O2 sensor was wired using supplied connectors (no solder); I was just making the final connections to power the sensor (positive connection on coil), ground, and the computer (green wire).

It's good to know that new clutch pivots are available, so I guess I will be installing a new one, when I get around to the clutch/gearbox renewal!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts