Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a squeaking, grinding noise from the clutch pedal ahen depressing and releasing it. The master and slave cylnders are both brand new, as well as the rubber hose. The clutch works fine (needs a little coaxing engaging 1st and reverse when stopped) even the 2nd gear syncros are good. Is the noise a precursor to pivot arm failure? It seems that it should just snap, but it doesn't. The clutch pedal is the same height as the brake pedal. I haven't had much sucess trying to lube the shaft as it is very hard to access. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, RM

·
Administrator
16,622 Posts
Does it squeak if you move the pedal with the engine off? If so, I'd suspect the pivot shaft. Don't know if that means it is about to fail - more likely the pivot needs lubrication.

If it only makes the noise when the engine is running then I'd wonder about the throw-out bearing.

BTW, to ease the shift from neutral into first or reverse, first partially touch another gear (3rd is a good candidate). That'll slow the moving gears and allow you to then shift into first without a graunch.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Is the noise actually coming from the pedal arm, or is it possibly coming from underneath, such as the pivot or fingers on the clutch fork.

You can inspect the clutch pivot easily enough by getting a light and looking at the welded on arm behind the clutch MS while someone works the pedal.

It's possible to get a little lube on the pivot where the pedal hangs by removing the two nuts at the top of the pedal box on the engine side of the firewall and the two lower nuts on the inside of the firewall then gently coaxing the footbox out a bit 'til you can spray some lithium or silicone based lube onto the pivot shaft near the ends. (the way the clutch arm is affixed to the shaft, the only place it can squeek is at the ends where the shaft passes through the footbox mount casting)

Go very gently if you take the above route as it's possible to damage the hydraulic hardlines if you get too carried away.

EDIT:

There I go typing slow again :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I know all of the tricks for engaging 1st from having owned several old un-first gear syncronized vehicles. The noise is definitely coming form the pedal area, not down below. How would I go about lubing it? All I've been able to do is try to squirt some WD40 up in there from down below and next to the shaft from under the hood.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I posted that reply as you were writing. It was to the other post. I'll give your idea a try. Thanks

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Use not WD-40 for lubrication purposes lest ye destroy what you're trying to lube after it cleans off any residual lube that may have been there then dries up leaving nothing behind but metal on metal contact.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to use silicone spray, do you recommend something else?

·
Administrator
16,622 Posts
Use something that is an oil - a lubricant. WD-40 was 'invented' as a Water Displacement - formula #40 (that's the legand anyways - I guess formulas #1-#39 didn't work sp goodl...). It is neither a good lubricant nor a good rust penetrant.

A light oil in a spray can would probably work best. If it had one of those thin straw things to direct the spray you should be able to get it where it'll do some good.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Use not WD-40 for lubrication purposes lest ye destroy what you're trying to lube after it cleans off any residual lube that may have been there then dries up leaving nothing behind but metal on metal contact.
Right. WD 40 I am guessing educatedly, is more of a solvent than a lube. It is WAAAAAY overused. And WAAAAAAY overrated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts