Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfisti. I went to take my spider out for a drive and my clutch pedal was very stiff and would not return. I had to pull it up with my hand and it was very hard! New slave. Replaced flex line. Is it the master?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Floor mounted 69 spider

·
Super Moderator
11,776 Posts
I would remove the clevis pin and see if the pedal moves freely.
Or the shaft in the pedal box that the clutch pedal pivots on. Try removing the clevis pin and seeing how freely the pedal & shaft move.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clovis pin put. Still still as hell! Should I pull the pedal box?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sprayed PB blaster all over and removed some of the gunk. When the pedal is depressed the pivot shaft that connects to the master moves. I will let it sit and exercise it. I’ll keep u posted. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shaft moves both up and down but with force. Even with the clevis pin and master shaft disconnected. Shouldn’t it move freely? What else could it be? I’m guessing it’s not the master cylinder.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
From ur pic it looks like the clut cv h shaft is broken, hope not though
I agree. It's not even in line....something looks not right from the photo at least...
pedal box1.jpeg

spring is often missing
pedal box.jpg

you need to take that pedal box right out and inspect it, clean it and grease it up....maybe even put some zerks in there

·
Super Moderator
11,776 Posts
Clovis pin put. Still still as hell! Should I pull the pedal box?
Yes, your next step is to remove the pedal box. It seems clear that the shaft the clutch pedal pivots on is sheared - certainly on the inboard side of the pedal. But I wonder what's going on with the shaft on the outboard side of the pedal. The pedal & shaft look offset forward from their original position. So the bushing in the box where the clutch shaft rides may be quite worn.

Is there a spring that’s supposed to be there?
While you should have the torsion spring shown in spiderserie4's second picture, the lack of that spring is the least of your problems. My GT doesn't have the spring and it makes no difference; the compression spring in the MC returns the pedal with no difficulty. To my knowledge, replacement torsion springs are not available.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it’s straighten on. Perhaps the image is deceiving. The shaft does rotate with the pedal movement so it isn’t sheared off.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can I shoot some brake cleaner in and around to try and clean it up?

·
Super Moderator
11,776 Posts
Wow, I have to admit that your second picture looks completely different than the first. If the inboard stub of the shaft rotates as the pedal is depressed, I guess it isn't sheared.

You can try spraying some brake cleaner in there to free up the shaft, but that will be more of a diagnostic than a fix. If it moves freely after applying brake cleaner, then your problem may be as simple as gummed up lubricant. But once the brake cleaner evaporates, you will be back in the same place. I think you can withdraw the shaft from the pedal box, without removing the pedal box, if you can separate the pedal from the shaft. Getting out that tapered pin can be a bear, however, especially when working on a box that's still installed.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
strange how deceptive photos can be!

First I'd clean up the whole box in there with a stiff paint brush and some brake cleaner. get it shiny again! Use compressed air (or a hoover) to lift any loose dust/dirt etc.

Then I'd work on the shaft area that is stiff with some PB blaster or kroil or some other penetrating fluid. You say it does rotate, so it is not frozen solid which is good.
Work the pedal with your hand until you have it moving completely freely, then wipe off the mess and squirt some oil around the shaft area, and work it again.

That is about as much as one can do without removing the pedal box completely and attending to it correctly by dismantling, polishing and greasing the shaft.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Just an fyi in order for the pedal box to be removed, the shift has to come out first. Good luck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts