Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '65 Giulia TI that was a vintage rally car and has a 2 liter SPICA injected engine and its associated hydraulically activated clutch. i have had a problem getting the clutch to fully engage. I have put a new clutch MC in and the pedal does not return to the fully un-depressed position when released. I can pull the pedal back and the clutch will engage all the way. Any suggestions?

Mike:confused:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Have you checked your clutch slave, or maybe still some air in the system.

Giorgio

·
Premium Member
22,177 Posts
Are the hydraulics old and sticking? Does it still have floor pedals, or converted to hanging? Is throwout bearing not moving smoothly on its sleeve?
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Andrew's questions X 2

Of course, a '65 TI would have left the factory with a mechanical clutch. So you car as somehow been modified - perhaps with a '69 pedal box and the associated '69 clutch MC, perhaps with hanging pedals, or ...? Knowing the type of clutch MC (year, make), as well whether you replaced it with a rebuild, NOS, or ... might also be helpful.

Coming at the problem from another direction: How old is the flex hose? Might it be swollen internally, blocking the reverse flow of fluid back into the MC?

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Assuming that you have the modern pedal box w/ suspended pedals your problem sounds like a broken clutch arm. They brake on the inside of the weld so you can't tell from the outside if they're broken. If you can pull the arm back into position, that's an indication that it's broken. I had just this problem recently with my Super. It's getting fixed now. I'm told by someone who knows a lot about old Alfas that all suspended pedal clutch arms will eventually brake. The solution is to buy a new one or have the old one welded.

·
Premium Member
22,177 Posts
A 65 TI would have floor pedals unless converted. On a race car, that's a pretty good possibility.
Andrew

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has the standing pedals and the new clutch MC is from Centerline. I have bled the system but will again if it gets warm this weekend. The flex line is old so that may be a problem I'll check that too. I can pull the pedal back and the clutch engages. Thanks for the ideas. I will check them out this weekend (weather permitting)

Mike

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
I'd pull the clevis pin from the pedal to clutch M/C pushrod. Now work the pedal. Does the pedal stick? If so, the problem is mechanical. If not, the hydraulics are suspect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts