Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 76 spider and am new to Alfas, but I have been playing with Porsches for awhile. I guess my question is with the clutch MC mounting design. I have replaced these in 944's a few times and thought that design was poor. But I think the Alfa gets the PITA award. Is there a trick to this I'm not aware of? First, I just don’t get why they didn't use welded studs on the bracket and two, why they used a 13mm ATF nut which allows no room for a socket and barely enough room for an open end to get in there. The allen head (bottom) is a freak show, but with swivels it can be reached.

I was thinking of welding M8 Tbolts to the bracket and use 12mm ATF nuts when I reinstall the MC so I can at least get a socket in there. I haven't made it to the slave yet, but from what I read that is not exactly a happy scenario either. If anyone can provide any tips on this job I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
22,971 Posts
It is tough to get in there, but once you've done it once or twice it gets easier. If you disconnect the clevis at the back end you can move the pushrod to the side, getting an allen wrench in easier from the back. With clean, lubed bolt threads, the whole thing comes apart and goes together better.
It was a cobbled-on addition to some extent, the firewall area having been redesigned in 1970 when the hanging pedals and integrated brake booster/MC were introduced. These chassis originally had floor pedals from 1962, then hydraulic under-floor clutch in 1967, then the setup you see from 1970 on.
No ideal and a bit fiddly, but you learn the tricks over time.
Andrew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clutch MC Kit Source

Can anyone direct me to a source where I can get a clutch MC kit that is not $80? They must be hand crafted seals or something.
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If you are just looking for a rebuild kit, yes, IAP lists one for ATE cylinders for $14.95 (1988 Alfa Romeo Spider
Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit, ATE
). I am not sure what you are getting for $80 as that sounds very expensive for a rebuild kit and too cheap for a complete MC. Typically these MCs are beyond a rebuild though as old, moisture laden brake fluid has corroded the cylinder. I have had mixed results using after market clutch MCs. One has been on the '77 for five years and the other lasted about 13 months on the '88 If you decide to buy a new cylinder, consider an ATE or Benditalia/Bonaldii.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I don't have the ATE and it looks like the kit I would need is $61.50 from that source. Which basically amounts to two seals and a rubber boot. I would probably agree that just replacing the MC would be the best thing. But mine doesn't look that bad and I really only need the two seals. The $80 kit which was by Beck and Arnley was from my FLAPS. If a new ATE will work for my 76? I would probably go with that since the kits are available and atleast reasonable. Just wish I could find either the two seals somewhere for a sensible price or maybe an interchange that would work from a different application.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The clutch master cylinder is the same for the S2 and S3 Spiders. I got my ATE from Paul Spruell... it was not cheap. You could check Di Fatta Brothers to see what they have. Originally, I was concerned about the availability of rebuild kits too but have since decided that is a minor issue. Mainly, I want a MC that will last a long time with proper maintenance (fresh brake fluid).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts