Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a spec for the length of the adjustable pushrod on the clutch master cylinder?

I have a car in that had a pivot ball failure. The clutch fork lodged itself against the transaxle housing such that it would still disengage the clutch, but with a very heavy pedal. This caused the rear seal on the clutch master to fail.

My concern is that, per the owner's service records, the clutch unit & the pivot ball only have around 20K miles on them. Also, the pivot ball is properly lubricated. Therefore, I can't figure out why the pivot ball failed.

I'm begining to think that perhaps the clutch master pushrod is set too long such that it causes the clutch slave to over-stroke, thus placing too much of a side load on the pivot ball.

I've never seen a spec for the clutch master pushrod. I've always set it to the same length as the old unit, & I make sure that the clutch pedal sits even with the brake pedal.

Does anyone know of a spec length for the adjustable clutch master pushrod? Alternately, does anyone have a non-adjustable unit handy for measurements?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

I am told it should be 24.5 mm otherwise the dual pistons do not rest at the right point relative to the outlet holes in the body. I have never set one up so cannot speak from experience.

George

·
Premium Member
27,282 Posts
Michael I have only seen one Milano aftermarket clutch master that was adjustable and as you know non-adjustable OEM ones make pedal start to release/engage way to high.

I set last adjustable one I installed in a Milano short so clutch would start to engage with clutch pedal just coming off the floor like a 164 and start to disengage about with pedal halfway down.

I hate that stock way high releasing/engaging pedal you usually find on GTV6 and Milano.

What I do/did on high pedal when I can't adjust rigid non-adjustable pedal rod is lift carpet up and put a 2x4 block under carpet so you have a down stop to prevent over travel.

What do I know though I don't own anything but 164's now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts