Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I've got a weird one for the wise folks in the forum.
Went to resurrect my old 164 S, after fiddling with the clutch decided that I ought to replace the clutch master/slave cylinders. Removal and install went fine, but once I reattached the clutch master cylinder to the pedal assembly, the pedal does not return to its original resting position. It sits at about the halfway point of its total travel and won't return any further. Almost as if the master cylinder needs to extend out further?

I am at loss for today and would appreciate some fresh ideas.

Thank All!

Greg

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,594 Posts
Ok. So I've got a weird one for the wise folks in the forum.
Went to resurrect my old 164 S, after fiddling with the clutch decided that I ought to replace the clutch master/slave cylinders. Removal and install went fine, but once I reattached the clutch master cylinder to the pedal assembly, the pedal does not return to its original resting position. It sits at about the halfway point of its total travel and won't return any further. Almost as if the master cylinder needs to extend out further?

I am at loss for today and would appreciate some fresh ideas.

Thank All!

Greg
Did the spring cartridge attached to the clutch pedal upper and lower pieces come apart inside the spring. One part is hollow tube and has to slip over solid rod on other end.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the spring cartridge attached to the clutch pedal upper and lower pieces come apart inside the spring. One part is hollow tube and has to slip over solid rod on other end.
I don't believe so, the only spring assembly I see looks intact. Are you refering to the one attached near the top of the clutch pedal that runs to the back of the footwell?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to capture what I am running into with my phone, maybe that will help?

Icloud Link: iCloud

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Greg, did you replace the flexible lines to the slave cylinder and remove the dampener (small metal thing that looks like a hockey puck)? I have heard that the original lines swell up internally and block the flow of clutch fluid. The ones on my 'S' were replaced with Teflon lines with stainless steel braided coverings about 15 years ago. Sometimes my clutch pedal does not fully return and it is necessary to pull it back up with my foot. I have a new master cylinder (pump) but haven't installed it yet.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,594 Posts
ye
I don't believe so, the only spring assembly I see looks intact. Are you referring to the one attached near the top of the clutch pedal that runs to the back of the footwell?
Yes, that one. If that aligned correctly then is clevis pin going through both the hole in the master cylinder yoke and the hole in clutch pedal arm?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alfisto Steve, Yes, it is running through both the hole in the master cylinder, and clutch pedal arm. I was wondering if there was some adjustment that had to be made to the master cylinder itself prior to intallation?

Ironblock, Also yes, the car had an engine out service about 15 years ago and we the dampener removed then.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,594 Posts
Alfisto Steve, Yes, it is running through both the hole in the master cylinder, and clutch pedal arm. I was wondering if there was some adjustment that had to be made to the master cylinder itself prior to intallation?

Ironblock, Also yes, the car had an engine out service about 15 years ago and we the dampener removed then.
I had clutch master for a Milano one time that had a way to adjust the yoke but never seen one that way for a 164. Did you compare both cylinders old and new before you installed it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadly no.
I might have the old one in the garage somewhere, but I doubt it. I got it from Centerline, so I think it’s the right one. They did say that most of their master cylinders have adjustable yokes which are under the boot, the gentleman I spoke with didn’t know if that was the case for the 164s, but it’s worth a shot.
My guess is at a minimum I’ll have to pull it out and inspect it for defects.I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts