Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I am starting to rebuild the clutch master cylinder. I have removed the master cylinder, got it taken apart, got all the gaskets replaced the same as they were when I removed the piston. I cannot get the piston to go back in as the new fresh gasket is slightly bigger due to no wear and tear and it also has a slight flare to it. The old gasket had the same flare. I cannot get the piston back into the master cylinder body due to this flare. Does anyone have a tip or some info that might help me......

·
Administrator
17,811 Posts
When you say 'gasket' do you mean the rubber cup shaped item? If so, wet it with brake fluid then gently squeeze the flared part of the cup (with your fingers) so it fits into the bore of the master cylinder.

When fluid pressure is applied that flared part of the rubber cup will be pressed firmly against the cylinder's walls. This is what prevents it from leaking past the cup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the same problem with TWO kits brought from International. Never could get the seals to go into the bores- tried everything. International said they were having some problems with the kits. Had to buy new cyl.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I've seen this before as well. But it is not the seals in the kit that are the problem but the lack of a chamfer in the bore. Without this chamfer, or a special tool to compress the seal, installation is near impossible.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All,
Thanks for the input, as aleways, it is needed and much appreciated. I was able to get the seal "tucked im." I had to put the rubber seal on the piston and gently press it into the cylinder whine using a miners headlight and a very small flat blade screw driver, I was able to tuck the chamfered edge of the seal into the cylinder bore. It was an extreme PITA, but is is done. I just need to bleed the clutch system and I should be good to go again....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Had the same problem with TWO kits brought from International. Never could get the seals to go into the bores- tried everything. International said they were having some problems with the kits. Had to buy new cyl.
Always buy your hydraulics elsewhere. IAP sells the cheapest junk they can find, regardless of the source, and I'd not trust any of those parts on my Alfa's. Some cheap parts are OK, but not when it comes to parts like hydraulics, wheel bearings. etc. Don't trust your safety to junk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
All,
Thanks for the input, as aleways, it is needed and much appreciated. I was able to get the seal "tucked im." I had to put the rubber seal on the piston and gently press it into the cylinder whine using a miners headlight and a very small flat blade screw driver, I was able to tuck the chamfered edge of the seal into the cylinder bore. It was an extreme PITA, but is is done. I just need to bleed the clutch system and I should be good to go again....
i did it last year with a small piece of a tube, the diameter a little more then the piston, you push this tube from behind over the gasket an than its fits into the cylinder.
regards dieter

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I wholeheartedly endorse Dieter's method. Using a sharp metal object may nick the seal.

Kilgore,
I don't know if you're just out to bash IAP but ATE seals will not fit an ATE cylinder without compressing the seal. Think of it as trying to install an engine piston without compressing the rings.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I got rebuild kits for 4 calipers, and they ere sourced from Turkey. Looked like they were made from recycled vinyl. Hardly ATE, which is what I purchased afterwards from Alfa Parts in Berkley.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts