Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I took advantage of a warm day to delve deeper into the clutch issues that I have been having.

Background: The clutch does not work, pressing the clutch pedal does not release the clutch. The car sat for 10 years - likely the clutch is rusted to the flywheel. My Webers needed a great deal of work and so I could not try to free the clutch last fall.

I'm accumulating parts for when it warms up. I've got a new clutch slave and rubber hose (and will get a new CMC). The IAP clutch cylinder looks like this:

The Slave cylinder that is on the car is connected to the fork like this:

Has anyone seen anything similar before? Is the clutch cylinder travelling far enough?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
what year is the car?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is a mishmash of different years - the back end is 85', the front clip is 76', the engine is 78'. I have not yet dated the transmission.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I thought the adjustable clutch rod was late 60s early 70s?. Not sure but buy the slave and use whichever one works for you (ball or adjustable rod). I'm sure there are more proper ways, but get it on the street and drive it around until the clutch breaks free from the flywheel

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you flivesay, you've shown me just another subtle difference between all these cars. I now know that the transmission must be even older than the engine (or at least the bell housing is).

Is the return spring necessary when using the type-1 or type-2 clutch? I wonder...

·
Registered
499 Posts
After cleaning the slave cylinder and putting into the place, I can rotate it easily and feel some little play. Is it OK?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Is the return spring necessary when using the type-1 or type-2 clutch? I wonder...
Yes, the adjustable pushrod Type 1 & 2 clutches require a return spring on the release fork. These were superseded by the non-adjustable Type 3 in 1971 that do NOT use a return spring. All replacement slaves are Type 3.
There appears to be sufficient fork travel to release the clutch. Having sat for ten years, I'd wager the disc is frozen to the flywheel/pressure plate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts