Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, have done a couple of searches for the following question i have but cannot find any suitable answers!

Have the transaxle out of my 81' Alfetta Saloon at the moment while i tidy up the rear suspension and driveshaft, and just giving the transaxle a freshen up with a couple new bearings and seals, now something i have noticed in the clutch housing is that with it all torqued up the flywheel and input shaft has about 5mm of end float, is this normal? It was like this before i pulled it all apart (yoke nut wasnt loose!) I feel this is normal as the upper bearing floats as such, it isnt retained by a circlip but there is an o-ring in the housing.

Thanks Fabian

·
Richard Jemison
7,382 Posts
Clutch cover

The input shaft / flywheel shaft should have NO front to rear movement.

The thrust is taken by the rear bearing, and there is a tube over the shaft between the two bearings (fr & rr) to space it correctly. It has to be there, and I think there is along with the "tube" a spacer as well.
These are totally reversed of the 119 series with pull release clutches that have the pull thrust taken by the rear bearings that have screw in retainers to keep the bearing in place.

As is this will be a cause of giubo issues .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh joy! this could be an issue then, i have been trying to find a parts diagram showing the breakdown of this but can only find early (pre 78' and late 85' on!) I have the tube but no extra spacer, which would need to go at the bottom from what i can see?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have spent a few hours pondering this and i think the slight play is supposed to be there, when driveshaft is all bolted up, there is no movement, the movement allows the clutch assy to move back towards the gearbox when you want to remove the driveshaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts