Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened in town. Was able to drive home shifting without the clutch. If the clutch was depressed the engine died.
Had it apart in short time. A used one complete coming from Larry at APES.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,247 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,686 Posts
Pete was drag racing a grand daughter.....

Reactions: Jack Straw

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From eman911 in the link provided by Ed:

Be sure to check for proper fit when replacing the rear giubo. I have found the center bushings in the replacement units to have too small an ID , thus not allowing the stub on the input flange to seat and center properly. A little gentle work with a dremel tool and sanding drum fixed things up nicely.

My gwee-bos have all been replaced by the PO. I replaced the center support.

On close inspection, it appears the rear gwee-bo only accepts about half o the pilot shaft of the clutch housing?

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
If your cover is for a straight shaft clutch.

I have one I'll give you.

Reactions: ARwrench

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your cover is for a straight shaft clutch.

I have one I'll give you.
How do I tell?

Mine appears to be a late model 4 cylinder cover. 78 Sport Sedan.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
The shaft on the clutch that goes through the housing will either be straight between the flywheel and the yoke end or it will have a taper.

Post a picture of it and I can tell you.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
You have the tapered one. Which is the later version.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
One thing you need to do is get rid of the yoke nut and go to the updated version which is the double nuts that were used on the GTV-6's and the Milano's.

The nut you have is original and they were a one time use nut and were well known for coming loose.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
everything in mine was tight, except the front bearing slides on to the shaft and right off by hand. Weird. I'm concerned about the guibo where it mates to the shaft. I'll fiddle with it in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
11,686 Posts
This is a GOOD helpful thread. Thanks to all those posting. I'm learning stuff I did not know. These are good cars and need the advice of those that know.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
I'm guessing tapered. Front bearing is smaller than the rear.
Do you have the sleeve that goes on the shaft between the 2 bearings?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have the sleeve that goes on the shaft between the 2 bearings?
Yes. It's there.

I'm exploring something else.

The car had all new giubos when I got it. Center bearing rubber was bad. I replaced it and put the 2 driveshaft pieces back together as they came apart and were marked by I'm guessing was the person who replaced the giubos.

Now, upon closer inspection from under the car, I notice the front and rear giubos are not in the same plane. Off by about 20*. You know how the giubos have 6 flats, right? The front and rear are not the same. One is off by a bit.

Makes me wonder if the shaft was not marked correctly.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have seen these housings crack when the mounts, engine or trans are bad. Check those and good luck
All engine mounts and trans mounts are like new.

When I took the car for a short drive before buying it, it felt like the driveshaft was whipping. Once I installed the support, that was gone, but there was some vibration.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Also the frt shaft has a bushing that helps to align the shaft in the flywheel and the center has a split coller that also must align as well. Good luck

1 - 20 of 61 Posts