Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to remove and replace this fork w/o taking the motor/trans out, again? BTW the rebuild seems to have worked, motor fired right up but after bleeding the clutch slave (nipple at 12oclock) absolutely no clutch atall. I'm wondering if I had put the fork around the throwout bearing's 'throat' rather than behind it... hence not enough throw to depress pressure plate.. but hard to remember as that operation was back in January.
Cheers,
Sam

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Have you look at the slave to see how much it moves when the clutch is depressed (just to rule out that it is not something before the fork such as problem with pivot arm, MC and slave)?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was fine before I put all back together, except for the worn out clutch and shattered rings, funked bearings, valves... so I'll check the throw on the slave, and master and the pedals although I cant imagine that has changed.
Thanks all,
Cheers,
Sam
PS slave throws the lever all the way back to the aft end of the hole in the trans hole.... engine coming out in the morning.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A four hour job, but it's all back on the floor. I can find nothing wrong. The fork was in the right place, though the spring was not engaged with the slot in the tip. So I am mystified. If I didnt bleed it enough I'll be stuffed, but the travel with pedal down seemed maximum...
Maybe a bad master, though the travel seems ok.... I dunno. Is there a different size throwout bearing, maybe I was sent a smaller/thinner T.O..... nah.
Meanwhile a ponder and a cold one.
Cheers,
Sam

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a silly question at all. But no. I think what happened was as I installed the plate, the clutch, I wondered which side faced the motor, as it is asymetrical. I consulted page 12-6 of #3748 and it appeared that the fat side faced the flywheel. Wrong. It hits the flywheel bolts and jams itself against the wheel making any disengagement impossible. So, we'll see.
I'll get it back in tomorrow morning and find out, at least I wont have to take it out again in the afternoon... I hope.
Cheers,
Sam

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
So I am confused: You said "...not enough throw to depress pressure plate..." and then you said, "...slave throws the lever all the way back to the aft end of the hole in the trans hole...". If the fork is moving through it's full range of motion then that eliminates the hydraulic altogether. It must be something in the assembly and removing the motor was the necessary thing...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At first I thought I remembered the T.O. as being an H shape where it would be possible to put the fork in the middle, thus reduceing throw. And the lever did travel all the way back. But... I had the plate in backwards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts