Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting some bad sounds from my clutch lately and I finally got the chance to drop the transmission and evaluate. My current setup consists of a lightened original flywheel, Sachs PP, and Spruell serrated Kevlar disc. I have a fairly hot 2L with close to 200HP.

Once got it all apart I was expecting to find a disintegrated throw out bearing but it was actually fine. What I found was a couple rivets broken on my Sachs pressure plate and shiny spots all over the friction surfaces. Spruell, had issued a tech bulletin saying they had a run of bad clutch discs, but upon inspection my disc seems ok. It is 0.361 thick (they are 0.375 new). I am thinking that improper setting of my clutch stop could have probably caused this if I was over-extending my pressure plates on a regular basis.

Either way I have a beautiful aluminum flywheel laying around that I've been wanting to install, I'm trying to figure out what the best pressure plate to run is, seems like Spruell offers 3 or 4 different ones (Sachs, upgraded Sachs, 911S type, etc). They also offer upgraded throwout bearings. I use my car for track days and hard street driving, but not full racing so I will stay with a sprung clutch disc but perhaps avoid the kevlar ones.

Any input appreciated.

Pictures:

[/url]image by vespam5, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Richard Jemison
7,371 Posts
Clutch disk

You should have checked the friction co-efficient for clutch materials before you bought Kevlar (or Carbon fiber). Sintered metalic is too heavy. Stick with high temp organic lining!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had good luck with Kevlar clutch discs in the past (BMW M3), but this car didn't like it. I will definitely go with an organic compound this time around.

Thanks fellas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts