Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfisti,
Today after moving my series 3 Alfa spider out of my spot using first gear. I then let it idle a little and soon after getting back into the car. I wasn’t able to get the stick shift into any gears. The clutch was pressed down to the ground and still no gears would engage just grinding. What could this be since I had just finished moving it in first gear? Then all of a sudden no gears work?

Does it need Clutch fluid? A new clutch? HELP!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,886 Posts
Check the clutch fluid reservoir first. If there's no fluid in there then you've got a leak and you've found your problem.

If that's not it, it's possible your clutch pedal has failed. Fairly common problem: if you can grab the clutch pedal and pull it up towards you then this is probably what happened.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Check movement of the clutch slave cylinder. These commonly go out without warning.
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE:
So I put Dot 3 clutch/brake fluid on both my clutch and brake fluid reservoirs as both were completely Empty! Silly of me for not realizing this when the brake pedal was super soft to push in. Anyway after a bunch of pumps holding the clutch all the way down completely To the floor and repeating the process, The gears started to engage again without any grinding.
I’m going to monitor to see if there’s a leak which most likely there is. But why do you think it required pumping could their have been air in the lines?

·
Administrator
16,482 Posts
1) Driving a car after the brake fluid reservoir was empty without diagnosing the problem and fixing it is foolhardy. Brakes are rather high on the List of Important Things - they must be 100% dependable.

B) It is very likely there was air in the line. You may have been lucky in encouraging the air to rise up and exit through the reservoir but, again, the fact the reservoir was empty almost assuredly means there is a leak.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Both your brake and clutch systems need to be checked over and repaired immediately by a qualified tech. I would NOT drive it with air in the lines... it can surprise you and leave you with no braking power.

·
Super Moderator
9,990 Posts
Just to echo - and expand upon - what others have written - yes, the brake and clutch systems each need some attention. While the two reservoirs are next to each other and take the same kind of fluid (e.g., "brake fluid"), they are completely separate systems. So that fact that both reservoirs were empty suggests that you have at least two problems: one with the brakes and one with the clutch. Both have a leak somewhere - the fluid in these systems normally doesn't evaporate or otherwise get consumed.

Brake systems often lose fluid by drawing it into the brake booster. When this happens, there are no puddles on the driveway floor. A bad seal in the master cylinder allows fluid to get drawn through the booster into the intake manifold where it is burned. A symptom that this is happening is a puff of white smoke while coming to a stop off a freeway offramp.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
My guess is that your rubber brake lines and the clutch line are shot. Replace all 4 of them...2 fronts, 1 rear and clutch hose. This is an accident waiting to happen. You are blessed to not have been on the road when this happened.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts