Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 Spider Quad. I had a problem were once teh car would get hot the clutch would get stiff when you would push the clutch down. Once the pedal was released it was very slow to come up. Then at the start of the summer I noticed that the clutch would only disengage with the last 10mm of stroke in the clutch pedal. I proceeded to change out the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder. The problem with the stiff clutch went away but the disengagment problem is still there. Can anyone help me this problem?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Most likely problem is the rubber hose that goes to the slave! The inside of the hose deteriates and become restrictive. Although it works better when you push down the pedal (now the master and slave work better) but the fluid cannot return fast enough when you release the pedal.

Edit: Oops, I just re-read your post and you said "disengagement". When you had stiff clutch, it put a lot of load on the pivot arm that push the master cylinder rod. Take a careful look there and watch the movement while somebody presses the pedal. With new master and slave (possibility different brand from before) cylinders, you might need to adjust the push rod at the master cylinder.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Check for a broken clutch pivot arm. Don't bother with the OEM replacement, though. John Ortakales produces a bullet-proof replacement for around the same $, which I've got on 2 of my 3 Spiders (just waiting for the last OEM piece to break). That would be my best guess, rather than hydraulics, but you'll have to let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clutch Pivot Arm

Thanks for the quick response guys, this is the first time that I have used this Bulletin Board, it's amazing.

--So I did go look at the clutch pivot arm and had some one press the clutch down a number of times. I didn't see anything out of the norm. The only thing that I did notice was some play in the shaft in the axial direction (perpendicular to the Master cylinder). Is there any way to determin if the shaft is damaged?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem Solved

THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS!!!!! It is exactly what you said. I read what "ghnl" sent and in the reading it says that the clutch pedal should be at the same level or slightly higher then brake pedel. I went to go look at my car and the clutch pedal was half way down with respect to the brake pedal. I went to pull the clutch pedal up and clutch pedal pivot arm straightend out. The pedal is now at the same level as the brake pedal. I took it for a short spin and it is perfect again. Just now I have to replace the clutch pivot arm befor it breaks. So just a recap, as "BlackAlfa" said "When you had stiff clutch, it put a lot of load on the pivot arm that push the master cylinder rod." This is why it bent. And "dwc" I will take a look at John Ortakales product and purchase his pivot arm.

Thanks again guys you put a big smile on my face :)

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts