Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, we get none of those in the states, but I thought the Alfa 6 had a normal transmission. But I do understand it has De Dion though.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yeah you are correct again. My bad, we didn't get the alfa 6 either however I have seen a couple that made it here. Ugly thing.
Probably, no, definitely the 75 was a better car but the 90 looked so much better.

·
Registered
1977 Alfetta GTV
11 Posts
ok, I just did this last week - wasted a fair bit of brake fluid trying to bleed the clutch hydraulics after replacing master & slave.

The trick is to fully compress (push the slave rod to the front of the car)when the clutch pedal is not engaged..

the clutch not engaged position for the clutch fork does not compress the slave fully so a big air pocket will always be present there, so push the slave in while bleeding and you will get rid of all the air in a couple of mintues.

cheers
Andrew

·
Registered
176 Posts
On front transmission cars (BMW's and 105/115) I stroke the slave cylinder piston repeatedly (bleed screw closed) with the Motive attached to the reservoir. Then I stroke the clutch master at the peddle. I haven't tried on the Milano/GTV6's yet, I'm sure it will work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I finally got my little POS running again, almost everything mechanical is done on the car with the exception of some leaking brake lines, and this "dang" clutch system. I replaced the entire clutch hydraulic system (new master and slave, new nickel hard line, and a braided stainless for the flexible), and today I tried to bleed it to no avail. I'm not getting anymore air out of it, but there's still no pedal and the slave doesn't move a millimeter. I tried several different methods, and none of them seemed to work. Is there a nasty buildup of air somewhere that I just haven't busted loose yet? And for the record everything worked just fine before I replaced the slave cylinder, which I only did because the old one might've been leaky, but the fluid was black from the disintegrating 40 year old seals. Any recommendations?
the slave cylinder bleed port has to be rotated above the inlet port/ hose attachment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally got my little POS running again, almost everything mechanical is done on the car with the exception of some leaking brake lines, and this "dang" clutch system. I replaced the entire clutch hydraulic system (new master and slave, new nickel hard line, and a braided stainless for the flexible), and today I tried to bleed it to no avail. I'm not getting anymore air out of it, but there's still no pedal and the slave doesn't move a millimeter. I tried several different methods, and none of them seemed to work. Is there a nasty buildup of air somewhere that I just haven't busted loose yet? And for the record everything worked just fine before I replaced the slave cylinder, which I only did because the old one might've been leaky, but the fluid was black from the disintegrating 40 year old seals. Any recommendations?
Make sure the bleeder is pointing up, if not you can't get all the air out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Call Alfaman (Jim) 415-518-0069. Pay him for his time and show your car some respect, since it is obvious that you have not done everything necessary. JF '67 Duetto spider

·
Registered
176 Posts
Huh is right, anyways: Skip to 4 min part. Use motive where he has oil can.
Motive not just to pressurize, but filled with brake fluid to force into system from the bottom (slave cyl)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Another way to reverse bleed clutch slave and masters is to use the hydrulics of the braking system, you connect a tube filled with brake fluid between the brake caliper bleeder and the slave cylinder bleeder then pump the brake pedal, have an assistant pump the brake pedal while you keep an eye on the brake master cylinder resviour. Pushing the brake pedal forcess fluid up through the clutch lines effectively reverse bleeding the clutch hydrulics.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Another way to reverse bleed clutch slave and masters is to use the hydrulics of the braking system, you connect a tube filled with brake fluid between the brake caliper bleeder and the slave cylinder bleeder then pump the brake pedal, have an assistant pump the brake pedal while you keep an eye on the brake master cylinder resviour. Pushing the brake pedal forcess fluid up through the clutch lines effectivily reverse bleeding the clutch hydrulics.
Never would've thought of that. Interesting way to do it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts