Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

I hear clunking noise when I pull away from stationary. Doesn't happen when in motion or going thru gears. Noise comes from underneath center/ rear of car. Google search resulted in lubricating the drive shaft yokes/u joints. Sprayed some WD40 to rear one, seemed to help a bit. Should I lubricate them both with grease? What do you guys think? Makes sense??

Thank You!

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Hey, ocalfa!

I'm voting for an issue with your drivelines's center carrier bearing. Had the same problem when I bought my car.

Have Gumby come over (will work for cookies) and have him crawl under and give the driveshaft a good shake near the center carrier. A defective CCB will willingly announce it's presence. Then the real work begins since R&R is not for the weak.

Also, with the car in gear, rotate the DS and listen for clanking at the universal joints.

Diff fluid topped off?

There are of course other possibilities but I'd start with the DS.

Signature line, por favor?

Best wishes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, ocalfa!

I'm voting for an issue with your drivelines's center carrier bearing. Had the same problem when I bought my car.

Have Gumby come over (will work for cookies) and have him crawl under and give the driveshaft a good shake near the center carrier. A defective CCB will willingly announce it's presence. Then the real work begins since R&R is not for the weak.

Also, with the car in gear, rotate the DS and listen for clanking at the universal joints.

Diff fluid topped off?

Best wishes.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input. Will have it checked out.
Sounds like it's gonna be an expensive repair :(
I'm new to this, so who is Gumby??

Best, Mario

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
How's the transmission mount?

The tranny mount is not that difficult.

Lots of threads with pictures available and an unbelievably helpful community here.

I brought the driveshaft to a shop to replace the u joints and centre support. Best $125 I've spent on labour.
Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
I'm voting for an issue with your drivelines's center carrier bearing
Make that two votes. Is it worse when you start on a hill or in a turn? That would be additional evidence.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How's the transmission mount?

The tranny mount is not that difficult.

Lots of threads with pictures available and an unbelievably helpful community here.

I brought the driveshaft to a shop to replace the u joints and centre support. Best $125 I've spent on labour.
Good luck,

Vin
Hi Vince,

I'm not very inclined mechanically, but I'm trying to learn. Not really sure about tranny mount. Just got this car, and noticed some old/non active leaks near where tranny and DS meet, behind the donut ( I did see some leaks from where speedo cable connects, right above it ). Also tried turning the drive shaft and noticed about 1/8" of play from end to end. No play where the 2 drive shafts join. What are your thoughts?
Thx, Mario

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make that two votes. Is it worse when you start on a hill or in a turn? That would be additional evidence.
Hi Alfaparticle,

The rumble is more noticeable on an uphill/corners perhaps because there's more load on tranny/axle, etc.
Thank you for your input!

Best, Mario

·
Registered
549 Posts
Had this issue start a few months ago. I replaced the tranny mount and u-joints and that solved the issue (and more). The rearmost u-joint was bad (slightly loose) and I'm pretty sure it was the cause of the rumble/noise.

The center bearing and holder shouldn't make noise if there is still rubber in the carrier and the carrier is firmly in place. The rumbling will be from the rotating parts. If the center bearing went bad, I don't think it would sound the same. It would also make noise at all speeds, not just taking off.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
had a similar rumbling on take off on my S4, horrendous vibrations in fact where I thought something really major had gone wrong!......in my case the centre bearing carrier 'bolts' had worked loose, removed them, used some loktite and tightened them up again and rumble disappeared.

worth checking.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Just reread the posts and noticed the reference to a "rumble" did not appear till #7.

A distinct, dull clunk on start-up continues to indicate center carrier bearing, which in my case was the only time I had driveline issues at all. Underway, all was well.

Rumbling would point to multiple issues.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much everybody! The drive shaft and all its components will be checked out tomorrow. I'll report on my findings.
I'm so glad I joined this forum, you guys are awesome!!
Best, Mario

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, ocalfa!

Diff fluid topped off?

Best wishes.
Hi Steve,

I gave DS a good shake, like you suggested, no funny noises. Tried turning it while in gear, there was just a small play maybe 1/4 inch, again, no funny noises. Diff oil is full.
Car has only 21k miles, never driven hard, but nuts and bolts are a bit rusty underneath. The rumble/clunking lasts about 2 seconds, sometimes absent if I release the clutch very gently.

Thanks, Mario

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Worn trunion bush...feels like a gentle kick up the backside through the base of the seat. Size of kick proportional to aggression at take off.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
The center bearing and holder shouldn't make noise if there is still rubber in the carrier and the carrier is firmly in place. The rumbling will be from the rotating parts. If the center bearing went bad, I don't think it would sound the same. It would also make noise at all speeds, not just taking off.
Not so. The rubber degrades and becomes weak and it allows the center of the drive shaft to bounce against the bearing holder. I have experienced that. As the speed of the shaft increases the amplitude of this movement decreases and is no longer noticeable.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I've got a three "thump thump thump" on takeoff only. Always "thump thump thump." Center bearing looks OK and the play at the center bearing area turned out to be the U-joints. There was NO play rotationally in the U-joints - the play was linearly through one of the rotational axes so that the forward driveshaft versus rear driveshaft could move off-center. Got new U-joints sitting on the workbench. Just need to find time and the desire to crawl under and work under a car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The different noises seem to wander in this thread. I, too, get a single mild thump -- no rumble or grinding, more like a low octave click -- from rear center (maybe a bit to the right?) when I pull away from a stop and/or very slow roll (e.g., stop signs, etc.). Sounds like some kind of play in the drive train making contact when it closes as the power flows down to the drive wheels.

Will investigate fluids and lubrication down there to start.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
The different noises seem to wander in this thread. I, too, get a single mild thump -- no rumble or grinding, more like a low octave click -- from rear center (maybe a bit to the right?) when I pull away from a stop and/or very slow roll (e.g., stop signs, etc.). Sounds like some kind of play in the drive train making contact when it closes as the power flows down to the drive wheels.

Will investigate fluids and lubrication down there to start.
Single thump sounding like its coming from the right = driveshaft to me.

After I rebuilt the driveshaft, new U-joints and centre support (brought to local drive shaft shop, $125, next day service) thump went away.

Was it the U joints or the centre support? Not sure but good to get both done while you are at it.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
U-joints don't usually produce thumps - just vibrations. In my experience you can have a little looseness in a U-joint and not notice it. A tight U-joint will make serious vibrations. The thump is not certain to be the center support but it is a likely cause.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts