Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just hoping for some maybe expert advice on this as I've had this looked at by a few mechanics and nobody has been able to figure it out. (at least its not something that is blatantly obvious)

Very noticeable going around lefthand corners that are either hills or slopes. Upon applying acceleration when exiting the apex of a turn there is a very loud audible "clunk clunk clunk clunk" noise. Goes away once the car is straightened up again and does not occur at all on righthand turns. No noise at all on normal lefthand turns that are on flat ground.

Extremely concerning while going up a lefthand turn that is uphill, the clunk noise is instead rapidly fired because I am applying a lot of acceleration to get up the hill and turning the wheel left. I've had the CV Joint looked at and mechanics say it is fine nothing wrong at all with it, I'm thinking its a wheel bearing but I'm also not sure since that would assume the problem is constant. A few other people have said it might be a wishbone but I have no way to check since I don't have a jack large enough to lift the car safely. I do have a small jack that is enough to lift the car up to change a tire but I don't know if I'd be able to locate a problem just from that.

a recording of the noise might be able to be provided but I would have to get my father to drive the car as he is the only other one in my family who has the ability to drive a manual, so if requested i'll look into trying to get one.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
That sure sounds like a cv joint on an axle.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I encountered exactly the same symptoms with a 156 and it turned out to be a slightly buckled rim - inside edge. My diagnosis initially was the inner driveshaft joint, however a physical inspection discovered the buckled rim hitting the suspension arm when turning left. The driver indicated he had hit a "monster pothole" during a trip but as he was on a very long straight road the noise didn`t come up until much later so he didn`t link the event with the noise.

·
Administrator
12,536 Posts
Watching with interest. Definitely sounds like CV joints, but Richard has an interesting thought

Pete

·
Registered
134 Posts
My guess is also CV joint (probably the outers). I have a 916 as well. If you catch it early enough and want to do a decent job, you could just take them off, clean, regrease and replace the boot. You would need a little mechanical know-how, grease, cleaning agent, a few spanners and circlip pliers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,536 Posts
If clunking, unfortunately too late and the CV needs replacing ...

A trick I learnt recently, if your front wheels are requiring more cleaning than usual ... check your outer CV joint boots
Pete

·
Registered
134 Posts
My experience is different (from 2 torn boots) but I'm sensitive to new sounds. The cluck-cluck sound indicates dryness that could result from torn outer boots (which would dirty the inside of your wheel first as psk says). Repacking it with grease can help, if the sound only recently started presenting itself at full lock.

·
Administrator
12,536 Posts
Cool. Hope that is the case. I was lucky with my car, but I had no noise, so just replaced both outer CV joint boots ... a recent bit of messy work

Fingers crossed
Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts